Can't finish balancing the cash account RRS feed

• Question

• In order to see reconciled transactions including my "cash" account in my reports, I needed to balance my cash account, which I haven't done ever (17 years worth of data), so I spent the better part of 2 hours clicking on each transaction in the "balance" account screen until every transaction had a checkmark and the balance was 0.00.  I really wish you could just select "all" and change the status of all of them at the same time.  That would have made my life a lot easier.  

Anyway, when that was done, I hit "next", which for all the other accounts, then puts an "R" in the cleared column to indicate the transaction was reconciled.  It appeared to be doing something (the little circle went around for about a min), then it stopped and remained in the "Balance Account" screen, when normally it would return to the account screen.  My only choices are to hit "postpone" or continue to hit next.  Continuing to hit "next" does the same thing.  It appears to be busy, but stops after a minute and nothing has happened.  Hitting postpone takes me back to the cash accont screen where the status of all the transactions appears as "C", but I need them to show "R", or they won't show up on my reports.  Before I spend another two hours manually changing the "C" to an "R" on 1000s of transactions, does anyone have any suggestions?  Going forward, I will balance the account on a monthly basis so this won't be an issue.

FYI, I tried closing MS Money and reopening, but it didn't help.  I am running MS Money Plus Deluxe.

• Edited by pacollins Tuesday, May 30, 2017 6:51 PM
    Tuesday, May 30, 2017 6:50 PM

Answers

• If you wish to start fresh and declare an account balanced, you can
    mark all entries balanced.  Select to show only unreconciled
    transactions.  Sort by date, and go to the oldest transaction.
    Hold down Cntl+Shift+M and let auto-repeat work thru the
    transactions until none are left showing.

Then change back to showing all transactions.

Tuesday, May 30, 2017 7:14 PM

All replies

• If you wish to start fresh and declare an account balanced, you can
    mark all entries balanced.  Select to show only unreconciled
    transactions.  Sort by date, and go to the oldest transaction.
    Hold down Cntl+Shift+M and let auto-repeat work thru the
    transactions until none are left showing.

Then change back to showing all transactions.

Tuesday, May 30, 2017 7:14 PM
  • I had over 10,000 transactions, so I downloaded a macro recorder called "Tinytask" and I put the keystroke sequence in repeat mode.  Took about an hour, but it finally finished.

Trish :)

Wednesday, May 31, 2017 12:02 AM