locked
Install Power Pack 1 beta on new WHS? RRS feed

  • Question

  • My new HP EX470 server will arrive next week. Should I install the PP1 beta before doing anything else? Or should I get the server functionality well-established before I even think about PP1? Thanks.

     

    Please ignore this same question under a different user name. I screwed up.

    Sunday, July 13, 2008 2:10 PM

Answers

  •  Bobsie wrote:
    But is the risk of data corruption worse than the risk of beta software? I do plan to add a 2nd hard drive to the server as soon as it arrives.

     

    Obviously no one wants the data corruption.  But if you follow MS's guidelines, you should be ok.  I have 2 drives on mine and I haven't been bit by it (and I've even tried to make it happen).  The main thing to remember is do not edit the file while it's on the server.  I copy it from the server to my desktop, edit it, then copy it back.  Also, on stuff that may get modified without your knowledge (like the metadata for mp3s when you play them), I would suggest you make all users read only on those shares.

    Sunday, July 13, 2008 4:35 PM
    Moderator
  • The actual corruption bug is very rare - you have to be editing the files on the server and using multiple drives. I doubt it really increases any risk by going to a third drive. I am currently running 10 drives with 4 TB of storage (without PP1) and still have not run into the corruption bug.

    So far, I've not heard of any major reports of PP1 beta destroying a system. Since it is new setup for you, why not just install PP1 from the start?
    Monday, July 14, 2008 3:57 PM

All replies

  •  Bobsie wrote:
    My new HP EX470 server will arrive next week. Should I install the PP1 beta before doing anything else? Or should I get the server functionality well-established before I even think about PP1? Thanks.

     

    Please ignore this same question under a different user name. I screwed up.

     

    Too late.  I already responded to your other post. Smile

    Sunday, July 13, 2008 2:12 PM
    Moderator
  • But is the risk of data corruption worse than the risk of beta software? I do plan to add a 2nd hard drive to the server as soon as it arrives.

     

    Sunday, July 13, 2008 3:27 PM
  •  Bobsie wrote:
    But is the risk of data corruption worse than the risk of beta software? I do plan to add a 2nd hard drive to the server as soon as it arrives.

     

    Obviously no one wants the data corruption.  But if you follow MS's guidelines, you should be ok.  I have 2 drives on mine and I haven't been bit by it (and I've even tried to make it happen).  The main thing to remember is do not edit the file while it's on the server.  I copy it from the server to my desktop, edit it, then copy it back.  Also, on stuff that may get modified without your knowledge (like the metadata for mp3s when you play them), I would suggest you make all users read only on those shares.

    Sunday, July 13, 2008 4:35 PM
    Moderator
  • On a somewhat related topic, I have an EX475 that I've been using for a while, with 2 drives in it and without PP1 beta installed. I'd rather not install PP1 until the final release comes out. In the meantime, I'm running out of space.

     

    So my question is -- should it be reasonably safe to add a 3rd drive, without PP1 installed, as long as I follow the rules & don't edit files once they've been copied over?

     

    Or am I asking for problems because the bug is with the drive extender technology, so going from two drives to three raises the probability of something going wrong?

    Monday, July 14, 2008 3:18 PM
  • The actual corruption bug is very rare - you have to be editing the files on the server and using multiple drives. I doubt it really increases any risk by going to a third drive. I am currently running 10 drives with 4 TB of storage (without PP1) and still have not run into the corruption bug.

    So far, I've not heard of any major reports of PP1 beta destroying a system. Since it is new setup for you, why not just install PP1 from the start?
    Monday, July 14, 2008 3:57 PM
  •  MrT-Man wrote:
    On a somewhat related topic, I have an EX475 that I've been using for a while, with 2 drives in it and without PP1 beta installed. I'd rather not install PP1 until the final release comes out. In the meantime, I'm running out of space.

     

    So my question is -- should it be reasonably safe to add a 3rd drive, without PP1 installed, as long as I follow the rules & don't edit files once they've been copied over?

     

    That's a very good question.  I don't remember seeing anyone ask that before.  In theory, yes, you should be ok (but I wouldn't swear to it).  Although, on something like that, I would completely avoid any files that need to be moved while the movement is occuring (just to be safe).

     

     MrT-Man wrote:
    Or am I asking for problems because the bug is with the drive extender technology, so going from two drives to three raises the probability of something going wrong?

     

    Well, there is one other hiccup: if you don't add another drive before installing PP1, your landing zone will not clear itself off (at least for the time being).  See Drive Extender Not Migrating Data (from PP1 beta forum).

    Monday, July 14, 2008 4:02 PM
    Moderator