VMware Player & WHS 2011 RC RRS feed

• Question

• I've always used an external NAS (dlink-323) as a backup/multimedia solution and have wanted to try out WHS for a while, so I thought I'd give the 2011 RC a shot by running it into VMPlayer.

Booting the image, I keep getting stuck on "Setup is initializing" (running the .iso that I've downloaded from Microsoft).

I've searched online and it had seemed that you need to have a vhd that is over 160GB, and that since VM only expands it when needed, that it wouldn't work. 

So I've created a VHD file that is 200GB, and ran it as my VM's drive, but I keep getting "looped" in the setup is initializing.. 

Could anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks.

Monday, February 7, 2011 10:24 AM

All replies

• I've always used an external NAS (dlink-323) as a backup/multimedia solution and have wanted to try out WHS for a while, so I thought I'd give the 2011 RC a shot by running it into VMPlayer.

Booting the image, I keep getting stuck on "Setup is initializing" (running the .iso that I've downloaded from Microsoft).

I've searched online and it had seemed that you need to have a vhd that is over 160GB, and that since VM only expands it when needed, that it wouldn't work.

So I've created a VHD file that is 200GB, and ran it as my VM's drive, but I keep getting "looped" in the setup is initializing..

Could anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks.
    When I installed WHS V1 in VMWare Server 2, I used the LSI Logic SCSI disk controllers. You had to add them during the installation, but it was not hard.

Doing a quick web search, it is not totally clear to me whether these VMWare products allow virtual IDE disks bigger than 128GB. My impression at the time was that VMWare Server does not.

The web interface of VMWare Server 2 is a little clunky, but I think it is better suited to a server guest than a desktop virtualization solution. For example it can automatically start the guest without logging into the host (not sure if VMWare Player or Workstation can do that).

David Wilkinson | Visual C++ MVP
    Monday, February 7, 2011 12:17 PM
  • Hi,

I too had the install get "stuck" at the same spot, but it looks like it was trying to do a lot of stuff on the back end.  My situation is a bit different though.  This probably won't help you, but I used VirtualBox and the install went fine without a hitch.  I set the hard drive to  "size up" to 500 GB as needed even though the physical HD is only 160 GB.  I plan to re-install on a bigger HD if I see what I like.  BTW, I didn't have to do anything "fancy" to get it to install from the same .iso.  Just a suggestion if VMware Player doesn't pan out.

Monday, February 7, 2011 3:41 PM