How to use free space from within WHS? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I want to use my EX495 as a Crash Plan backup server.  My only issue seems to be, I don't know how to configure the system (services?) to allow "Windows Home Server O/S" to manage the disk space.  O/S Properties for D:\ says, there's no free space.  But, through the WHS connector, there's over 3TB.  At this point, all I want the box to do is Crash Plan backups & restores. So, I don't care about keeping any of the original WHS services.

Thanks for any help!

- Dan -

Wednesday, January 4, 2012 10:20 PM

Answers

• Any disk that's part of server storage is managed by Windows Home Server, so to allow them to be managed by the base OS, remove some disks from your storage pool.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by tarpanet Thursday, January 5, 2012 2:29 AM
    Thursday, January 5, 2012 12:51 AM

All replies

• Any disk that's part of server storage is managed by Windows Home Server, so to allow them to be managed by the base OS, remove some disks from your storage pool.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by tarpanet Thursday, January 5, 2012 2:29 AM
    Thursday, January 5, 2012 12:51 AM
  • Hey Ken,  I removed one of the drives from the clutches of WHS.  Still didn't see anything free up.  Then it dawned on me to go to Disk Management. There it was.  I just needed to assign a drive letter to it.  Now, systems are backing up via CrashPlan just fine.  Exactly what I wanted!

Thanks a lot!  I sure appreciate the help...  :)

- Dan -

Thursday, January 5, 2012 2:29 AM