Restore Difficulties RRS feed

• Question

• So I've been using WHS v1 for like ever, and have been very happy with it.  One of my client machines has been acting up, and as a result, the client failed on me.  It lost its boot sector.  The primary disk, c:\ was set up as a RAID 5 array, and I suspect the issue is some problem with the nVidia RAID drivers not being updated past Vista has some how caught up with me now that this particular client has been updated from XP to Windows 7, then Windows 8, and finally 8.1.  I probably had a RAID failure once every six months, and have been able to rebuild the array typically with no problems.  I believe I've actually replaced one drive, in 5 years, and I always have a spare handy, just in case.

Attempting to restore the native RAID array has been problematic.  So, I decided to simply replace the whole array with a large SSD and simplfiy my life.  I've pretty much attempted to treat the disk as a non-system drive, as there is data I want off the drive, but applications I can reinstall.

To that end, I've ignored the Reserved partition, and all that, as I don't really want it to be bootable.  I mean, initially I did, but I'm not really sure how large the reserved partition was, so 100 MB seems to be what is present elsewhere.

My goal was to simply build a new C: drive with Windows 8, and then restore the old C:\ partition (275GB) to a new drive, to have the data.  I have essentially a new Win 8 build on the client machine at the moment, and use the WHS Restore CD

So here are the problems I'm having with that approach:

1) WHS Restore CD Disk Management console doesn't seem to want to see all of my new disk.  OK, it's a 3TB disk, and this pre-Vista console may not be that smart.  I'll try to find a smaller disk.  It does seem to be capable to cutting disk into numerous smaller partitions, somewhat arbitrarily between 400GB and 800GB.  The partitions are visible here, but not usable when I boot to Windows 8 on the client's new C drive.

2) The restore always goes to the end and then tells me that it has failed, and that it will retry again, using an older version.  This in turn fails, and becomes an endless cycle.  I'm pretty sure my server is up-to-date, but I'll verify it, and also try to get a chkdsk on all of its drives, just in case.  By up-to-date, I mean WHS v1, latest and greatest.  WHS v2 lost me with their lasck of BeyondRAID support.

3) If I then boot to my new C drive, and look in Disk Management for Windows 8, it is unable to use those partitions.  They don't appear to be NTFS, can't add/change drive letters, can't format, etc.  Can't really do much of anything.

4) If I format a partition in Windows 8, the WHS Disk Managemnt Console is limited in what it can do as well.  I'm currently playing with the block size, choosing 4096 rather than Default, as perhaps the different FDISK programs behind the scenes of Disk Managment are not really working well together.

My next step I suppose is to attempt the same tactics, but using a WinXP or Vista based C: drive.  Anybody have any helpful comments/thooughts/suggestions on this situation?

Friday, January 31, 2014 4:02 PM

All replies

• WHS v1 is based on a 32-bit version of Windows Server 2003, and cannot work with disk partitions greater than 2Tb.

Your other problem is that the 3Tb disk is an Advanced Format disk, also something that Server 2003 knows nothing about.

I take it you are trying to do a bare metal recovery of the entire C: drive on the "old" client?  I'd retry with a 2Tb or smaller disk, but the disk has to be at least as big as your old disk, even if you are recovering just one of the partitions.

Hope this helps.

• Edited by Gary Voth Tuesday, February 4, 2014 4:53 AM
    Sunday, February 2, 2014 12:13 AM