Shadow Copy Problem RRS feed

• Question

• I was looking through the messages on the board this morning and saw the other post about someone's shadow copy problem.  I checked mine last week and it was fine, but I thought I would check it again today and now it's not working.  The only difference between last week and today is I added a second drive to the server (I was only using 1 before).  As it turns out, the Volume Shadow Copy service was not running and marked as Manual (which I started).  Should this service be Automatic?

In addition to the service being disabled, the Shadow Copy settings under the D drive are now disabled.  First, will there be a problem if I set it up myself (meaning will there be any interference from DE)?  Second, if it is ok, can someone please tell me what the default settings for it are (so I can at least get it back to the original specs)?

Thanks!

Sunday, August 5, 2007 3:23 PM

Answers

•  

Can you explain the problem?  I know what it's around but I am not sure what you are doing to that brings up a VSS problem?

For example question (Sorry this isn't a fact just an example problem),

When you right click a share on the Windows Home Server, the Volume Shadow Copies do not show after installing a new drive.

If that is the case, do they show after 12 hours?  VSS takes a snapshot every 12 hours.

Monday, August 6, 2007 7:41 PM
  • The Volume Shadow Copy service should be set to manual. It will be run as required.

It is disabled on the drives, but normally enabled for the shares (right-click one of the folders and check Properties) - except as per Joel's remark about new drives.

Monday, August 6, 2007 11:23 PM
  •  

You shouldn't be looking at VSS on the Windows Home Server, you should be looking at it through the Windows Home Server shares...   \\server\music for example.  Not d:\.   I'm still really confused where you are seeing this issue and why you think VSS isn't working.
    Tuesday, August 7, 2007 1:42 AM
  • On my server, on the Shadow Copies tab, all drives have Next Run Time set to Disabled. This is normal; WHS should run a shadow copy automatically every 12 hours.
    Tuesday, August 7, 2007 3:59 AM

All replies

•  

Can you explain the problem?  I know what it's around but I am not sure what you are doing to that brings up a VSS problem?

For example question (Sorry this isn't a fact just an example problem),

When you right click a share on the Windows Home Server, the Volume Shadow Copies do not show after installing a new drive.

If that is the case, do they show after 12 hours?  VSS takes a snapshot every 12 hours.

Monday, August 6, 2007 7:41 PM
  • The Volume Shadow Copy service should be set to manual. It will be run as required.

It is disabled on the drives, but normally enabled for the shares (right-click one of the folders and check Properties) - except as per Joel's remark about new drives.

Monday, August 6, 2007 11:23 PM
  • Well, I added the drive 3 days ago, and yet I still don't have a Previous Versions tab on anything so far.

Does it happen at noon and midnight or every 12 hours after starting it up?

Monday, August 6, 2007 11:44 PM
  •  Crash2975 wrote:

The Volume Shadow Copy service should be set to manual. It will be run as required.

Hmmm, when I checked the settings before (when there was only 1 drive), I could have sworn that it was enabled on the D drive.  I just assumed that since that 2 hard drives get "lumped" together as D still, it would still show enabled for that config as well.

Monday, August 6, 2007 11:46 PM
  •  

You shouldn't be looking at VSS on the Windows Home Server, you should be looking at it through the Windows Home Server shares...   \\server\music for example.  Not d:\.   I'm still really confused where you are seeing this issue and why you think VSS isn't working.
    Tuesday, August 7, 2007 1:42 AM
  • Sorry, let me clarify:

Yes, I know where to find the Previous Versions tab (go to a file stored on the server through the share, right click, Properties, Previous Versions tab).  The problem is there is no Previous Versions tab on any file on the server.  When I used RDC to connect to the server and check the VSS settings, I noticed that on the Shadow Copies tab, it shows 3 drives: C:\, C:\fs\F, and D:\.  Under Next Run Time, all 3 are Disabled.  I think (although I'm not sure) before I added the second drive, the D drive showed Enabled (with some various settings to go with it).  I am assuming that VSS needs to be enabled on the D drive.  Otherwise, I don't think it will ever run (unless WHS has some additional programming that WS2K3 doesn't have).

Thanks for your help!

Tuesday, August 7, 2007 3:01 AM
  • On my server, on the Shadow Copies tab, all drives have Next Run Time set to Disabled. This is normal; WHS should run a shadow copy automatically every 12 hours.
    Tuesday, August 7, 2007 3:59 AM
  • I am 99% sure that it must be changed to Enabled to work.

If it is set to disabled, it will not run no matter what the schedule is. 

What I noticed is that as soon as I modified the default schedule, it changed from Disabled to Enabled.

My snapshots are now: 7 AM, 11 AM and 3 PM. 

In my opinion, a 4 hour schedule during a 8-5 workday is the right mix.  Also, I cranked up the cache to 100 GB.

(I have a 500 GB primary drive)

Note:  You will not see the previous versions tab on the server only on a Windows XP and higher PC with the previous versions client installed.  I beleive the Windows HomeServer connector installs the Previous versions client because the tab is there on my XP computer AFTER running a manual snapshot.

Friday, October 19, 2007 4:17 AM
  •  Chris Eytcheson wrote:
    I am 99% sure that it must be changed to Enabled to work.

Nope, it works just fine as disabled, which is what it is supposed to be (since another program/service is reponsible for running it at noon and midnight every day).

Chris Eytcheson wrote:
    If it is set to disabled, it will not run no matter what the schedule is. 

What I noticed is that as soon as I modified the default schedule, it changed from Disabled to Enabled.

My snapshots are now: 7 AM, 11 AM and 3 PM. 

In my opinion, a 4 hour schedule during a 8-5 workday is the right mix.  Also, I cranked up the cache to 100 GB.

(I have a 500 GB primary drive)

Note:  You will not see the previous versions tab on the server

Yes you will.  The tab shows up when you look at files/folders on the network shares.

Chris Eytcheson wrote:
    only on a Windows XP and higher PC with the previous versions client installed.  I beleive the Windows HomeServer connector installs the Previous versions client because the tab is there on my XP computer AFTER running a manual snapshot.

No, it's part of Windows XP (if I remember correctly, that was part of Service Pack 1, could be SP2 though)

Friday, October 19, 2007 5:35 AM
  • What is happening?!!!

could anyone help me?... i'll appreciate

i have enabled shadow copy on my drive in windows 2003 but i can not see previous version tab on any file's property.

-. I enable volume shadow copy in my drive e:

-. the schedule is running normally

-. i check all file's property in my share folder in drive e: in windows 2003 server

-. but i could not see previous version tab

khem

Sunday, August 31, 2008 3:50 PM
  • Hi,

You will not see the previous versions while you are on the server.

You should be looking at the files from your Client, this is done by going to the Shared Folders on your Client, then after opening the appropriate file, you 'right-click' on that file and select 'Properties'. This will have a tab named Previous Versions.

However, there is a possibility that you will not see any previous versions if your server has been rebooted as they might have been wiped out by the reboot.

Note that you should NEVER be performing any actions directly on your server, unless you know exactly what you are doing, and why. The server 2003 built-in tools can seriously damage your Windows Home Server installation/information if they are used incorrectly.

Colin

Sunday, August 31, 2008 5:07 PM