The Evaluation period for this copy of Windows has ended! RRS feed

• Question

• My WHS has been running fine for three weeks now until tonight.  All of a sudden, it quit.  On reboot I got the error message:

"The Evaluation period for this copy of Windows has ended!  Windows cannot start. To continue to use Windows, please purchase and install a retail copy of this product!"

It has expired.  I just checked the expiration date of the RC yesterday and it said 2/08/2008 so I figured I was ok until the RTM finally became available.  What happened?  What now?  I am really getting weary of WHS.  It has been a Royal Pain.  I wil try to do a server reinstallation tommorrow but if it doesn't work, I am off to some other solution...like Win XP or something Linuixy.  Arrrggghhh!

Ted

Saturday, September 15, 2007 4:22 AM

Answers

• Hi Ron

Well some places already have WHS software, a lot of places are showing it as being in stock over the next few weeks and the offical partner release date is 1st October, so you should be able to get it before the time runs out.

Andrew

Wednesday, September 19, 2007 8:41 PM

All replies

• This is not much help, but I need to ask--you have checked the date and time, both at the bios level and in Windows (if you can get that far, which I suspect you can't--safe mode?

Timebombs on beta products are usually very effective--not sure there's a way out of this.

When you say "all of a sudden, it quit."  What happened--what prompted you to reboot?

How's your hardware?  Any chance of hardware flakiness underlying this?

Saturday, September 15, 2007 4:44 AM
  •  TMG01 wrote:

My WHS has been running fine for three weeks now until tonight.  All of a sudden, it quit.  On reboot I got the error message:

"The Evaluation period for this copy of Windows has ended!  Windows cannot start. To continue to use Windows, please purchase and install a retail copy of this product!"

It has expired.  I just checked the expiration date of the RC yesterday and it said 2/08/2008 so I figured I was ok until the RTM finally became available.  What happened?

There is a bug in the RC timebomb code.  It sounds like you might have it.  But I would check your date and time setting and see if it's off first.

TMG01 wrote:

What now?  I am really getting weary of WHS.  It has been a Royal Pain.  I wil try to do a server reinstallation tommorrow but if it doesn't work, I am off to some other solution...like Win XP or something Linuixy.  Arrrggghhh!

Ted

No doubt a Server Reinstallation will work, but you'll have to call MS to activate it with your RC1 key (assuming you had already activated your key with the install before).

Saturday, September 15, 2007 4:46 AM
  • The BIOS time looked okay.  The MB is approx 1 yr old.  Was my WinXP Media Center HTPC and it worked great until I replaced it during the Vista Upgrades around here. I have a couple of the same model MBs running 24/7 with no problem.  And yes, I know this is a Beta!  Reinstalling now.

Saturday, September 15, 2007 2:17 PM
  • Good luck!

Saturday, September 15, 2007 5:17 PM
  • Server Reinstall seems to have gone okay.  Takes forever to install and then run all the connectors again.  Oh well, we'll see what I can troubleshoot now.

Saturday, September 15, 2007 6:19 PM
  • I'm afraid I'm facing the same timebomb... not as sudden, I don't think.  It started almost a month ago swearing at me, telling me the evaluation period would end in 30 days.  Well... I just got back from a 3-week road trip, and I've got 5 days left... according to Connector.  When I Remote in to Server, it tells me 0 days left.  I think I'm facing a re-install, but what about license key?  Can't seem to get a new one through MS Connect anymore.

Wednesday, September 19, 2007 12:41 PM
  • You can't get a new key, since the Beta has ended. Several people have posted here that they were able to activate thier existing key by calling microsoft. Use the activate by phone option when prompted to activate after the install.

Wednesday, September 19, 2007 1:02 PM
  • I am facing the same issues as the people stated above...if i perform a server reinstall will that erase the data i have already stored on my WHS...i.e. music, vids and so on?

Stout
    Wednesday, September 19, 2007 7:36 PM
  • Hi

As long as you select Server Reinstallation, your data (including shared folders and backups) will be safe. You will need to recreate the users though.

all the best

Andrew

Wednesday, September 19, 2007 7:50 PM
  • Thanks!
    Wednesday, September 19, 2007 8:01 PM
  • You are most welcome.

Any problems just shout :-)

Andrew

Wednesday, September 19, 2007 8:03 PM
  •  Andrew Edney wrote:

As long as you select Server Re installation, your data (including shared folders and backups) will be safe. You will need to recreate the users though.

Okay, I have to ask, as Ive just loaded a massive amount of data on WHS. I am running a Beta copy of WHS, and was not aware that there was a time limit on it. That's okay as long as I have the ability to retrieve this data once I install a actual copy of WHS, as I will definitely be using this product. The question I have is my data safe? I have several types of server software from my Action Pack Subscription, (SBS 2003, Server 2003, etc.) that I use for my business. Would I be better off using one of these, or am I panicking?  I noticed during the installation that WMS seems to be built on Server 2003 platform.

Like I said, I don't have a problem purchasing WHS, more worried about losing data.

Regards:

Ron

Wednesday, September 19, 2007 8:09 PM
  • Hi Ron

As long as you upgrade to the RTM release before your copy time bombs out then your data should be safe. That being said, I assume you are currently running the RC version?

WHS is built on Windows 2003 as you said, but I would say there isnt anything quite like WHS, so depending on what you want out of it, its probably the best way to go.

WHS wont be part of the Action Pack or TechNet so you will need to buy a copy from a supplier.

Hope that helps to relieve some of your fears.

Andrew

Wednesday, September 19, 2007 8:13 PM
  •  Andrew Edney wrote:

As long as you upgrade to the RTM release before your copy time bombs out then your data should be safe. That being said, I assume you are currently running the RC version?

The version I have is as follows:

Version 5.2 (build 3790.srv03_sp2_gdr.070304-2240 : Service Pack 2)

After reading the fine print, I have 180 days after I install WHS. Which was yesterday. (See Below) So I am assuming I have six months to evaluate WHS. I'm hoping that MS will have a working copy out by then.

3. TIME-SENSITIVE SOFTWARE. The software
    will stop running one hundred eighty (180)
    days after you install it. You will not
    receive any other notice. You may not be able
    to access data used with the software when it
    stops running.

Thanks

Ron

Wednesday, September 19, 2007 8:37 PM
  • Hi Ron

Well some places already have WHS software, a lot of places are showing it as being in stock over the next few weeks and the offical partner release date is 1st October, so you should be able to get it before the time runs out.

Andrew

Wednesday, September 19, 2007 8:41 PM
  •  Datahead wrote:
    The version I have is as follows:

Version 5.2 (build 3790.srv03_sp2_gdr.070304-2240 : Service Pack 2)

After reading the fine print, I have 180 days after I install WHS. Which was yesterday. (See Below) So I am assuming I have six months to evaluate WHS. I'm hoping that MS will have a working copy out by then.

3. TIME-SENSITIVE SOFTWARE. The software
    will stop running one hundred eighty (180)
    days after you install it. You will not
    receive any other notice. You may not be able
    to access data used with the software when it
    stops running.

Thanks

Ron

Just to be clear, you probably want to make sure you have RC1 (which will be upgradable to RTM).  All of the previous builds will not be upgradable (due to system partition size change).  To find out which version you have:

Go to the Settings button in the Console: Resources Tab and look at the component numbers.  RC1 is 6.0.1424.2.

Thursday, September 20, 2007 1:19 AM
  •  kariya21 wrote:

Just to be clear, you probably want to make sure you have RC1 (which will be upgradable to RTM).  All of the previous builds will not be upgradable (due to system partition size change).  To find out which version you have:

Go to the Settings button in the Console: Resources Tab and look at the component numbers.  RC1 is 6.0.1424.2.

It looks like I have RC1...

Windows Home Server Console: 6.0.1424.2
    Windows Home Server Backup & Restore: 6.0.1424.2
    Windows Home Server Drive Extender: 6.0.1424.2
    Windows Home Server Remote Access: 6.0.1424.2
    Windows Home Server Storage Manager: 6.0.1424.2

Is that good or bad?

Thursday, September 20, 2007 1:45 AM
  •  Datahead wrote:
    It looks like I have RC1...

Windows Home Server Console: 6.0.1424.2
    Windows Home Server Backup & Restore: 6.0.1424.2
    Windows Home Server Drive Extender: 6.0.1424.2
    Windows Home Server Remote Access: 6.0.1424.2
    Windows Home Server Storage Manager: 6.0.1424.2

Is that good or bad?

That's good. Smile  With that version, you can do a Server Reinstallation and upgrade to RTM (which means you don't have to move all of your data off of the server and then back on to the server again after you install).

Thursday, September 20, 2007 1:49 AM
  • Thank you folks for the quick and helpful replies And I'm glad to hear I wont have to move that data again, as it's still loading and will be most the night.

Anyway, Thanks again:

Ron

Thursday, September 20, 2007 3:43 AM
  • You are welcome :-)

Andrew

Thursday, September 20, 2007 5:59 AM
  •  Datahead wrote:
     Andrew Edney wrote:

As long as you select Server Re installation, your data (including shared folders and backups) will be safe. You will need to recreate the users though.

Okay, I have to ask, as Ive just loaded a massive amount of data on WHS. I am running a Beta copy of WHS, and was not aware that there was a time limit on it. That's okay as long as I have the ability to retrieve this data once I install a actual copy of WHS, as I will definitely be using this product. The question I have is my data safe? I have several types of server software from my Action Pack Subscription, (SBS 2003, Server 2003, etc.) that I use for my business. Would I be better off using one of these, or am I panicking?  I noticed during the installation that WMS seems to be built on Server 2003 platform.

Like I said, I don't have a problem purchasing WHS, more worried about losing data.

Regards:

Ron

Are you really sure about storing businessdata (massive amount) on a RC product, a product that gives you no warranty at all about your data? apart from that, you should ALWAYS have a backup available if the data is that important!

Thursday, September 20, 2007 6:54 AM
  • You are absolutely right about ensuring you have a backup of important data - I couldnt agree more.

However, I dont think the issue is really that it is an RC product, I mean, over the years I have experienced problems and "lost" data on fully mature released products, and even with those you get no warranty. The beta documentation clearly states that it is a beta, and that you shouldnt use important data (or words to that effect) and so if you do use important data, and you have no backups then you need to be prepared to accept that risk that you might lose something.

I guess its all done to people reading the documentation first - and lets be honest, how many people actually do (I sometimes dont!).

Andrew

Thursday, September 20, 2007 7:30 AM
  •  dfw wrote:

You can't get a new key, since the Beta has ended. Several people have posted here that they were able to activate thier existing key by calling microsoft. Use the activate by phone option when prompted to activate after the install.

I tried the "activate by phone" option just now and was told they don't support trial or beta versions of any software and can't and won't give out product keys for them. 

Friday, September 21, 2007 12:03 AM