My Home Server Doesn't think it's a Home Server RRS feed

• Question

• I found the connector trouble shooter and ran it on my WHS 2011 micro server. Everything works except for ALL of my client dashboards (i.e. backups, launchpad, Server Dashboard, shared files, etc...).  Here are the tests and the log. Can anyone please tell me the what needs to be turned and the associated options (DHCP?) on at the server?

Check network adapter existence...
    Working Adapter(s):
    All Adapter(s):
    Get local machine IP address...
    Check gateway...
    Default IPv4 gateway:
    Ping Gateway: Unreachable
    Check DNS...
    Ping DNS server(s):
    Check DHCP...
    Ping DHCP server: Unreachable   <=====

[1]120731.083156.2600: Network: WHS Connector troubleshooter log version 6.0.1800.30 starting...
    [3]120731.083156.3536: Network: Initializing server search...
    [3]120731.083156.3536: Network: Checking Os...
    [3]120731.083156.3536: Network: Not windows home server.       <=====
    [3]120731.083156.3536: Network: Trying to search for other servers via upnp...
    [3]120731.083204.3872: Network: End up server search.

FYI - the thing that broke the client dashboards was me installing FPSE (from rtr) for IIS 7.5 on my server.

Best regards, Dru

Tuesday, July 31, 2012 12:46 PM

Answers

• Well, the connector troubleshooter was part of the Windows Home Server Toolkit, which was for a previous version of the product. So I wouldn't expect it to work with Windows Home Server 2011.

As for your various issues, you can try removing FrontPage to see if that clears them up. If it doesn't you may be able to figure out how to get everything working again, but to be honest it will probably involve less time and frustration to just reinstall Windows Home Server from scratch.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

• Marked as answer by ivmost dru Sunday, August 5, 2012 3:41 PM
    Tuesday, July 31, 2012 4:59 PM

All replies

• Well, the connector troubleshooter was part of the Windows Home Server Toolkit, which was for a previous version of the product. So I wouldn't expect it to work with Windows Home Server 2011.

As for your various issues, you can try removing FrontPage to see if that clears them up. If it doesn't you may be able to figure out how to get everything working again, but to be honest it will probably involve less time and frustration to just reinstall Windows Home Server from scratch.

• Marked as answer by ivmost dru Sunday, August 5, 2012 3:41 PM
    Tuesday, July 31, 2012 4:59 PM
  • Thank you for pointing out that connector tool isn't for WHS 2011.

I am tempted to reinstall WHS, but I do need the front page server extensions. If I do go the re-install route, I will try to determine which setting change breaks the client dashboard...

Best regards, Dru

Tuesday, July 31, 2012 6:56 PM
  • If you need a general purpose web server, Windows Home Server is a bad choice of OS, because it has web applications baked in to the operating system for a variety of purposes. Installing something like frontpage will potentially cause issues with those applications, as you've seen. In addition, the EULA may prohibit the type of use you envision (if it's a commercial use, it certainly does).

For general purpose web server use, I would recommend plain vanilla Windows Server 2008 R2, or Windows 7 (professional or ultimate only, I believe).

Tuesday, July 31, 2012 7:31 PM
  • this exercise is a good thing. I decided to see about doing a Server restore since I did a back up shortly right after my install. It's not nearly as straightforward as I imagined.

The repair from booting off the server dvd only shows me my most serer recent back up (no good). I will try other methods....

As far as a web site, I plan on hosting a site that I wrote in Front Page to keep track of my tennis league schedule, players and subs  and allow them to access/update info
    over the web. surely that is not a violation of the EULA? (does any individual actually read those <smile>?) 

PS - I do also use Windows 7 Pro, but don't want to host a web from my desktop when I have this nifty server  ;-)

Best regards, Dru

Tuesday, July 31, 2012 7:48 PM
  • Regarding reading the EULA: The EULA is a contract between you and Microsoft. If you choose not to read a contract you're agreeing to, that's your business, but you don't get to claim "nobody told me" about any negative consequences that might result from a violation. Not that the use you mention is likely to be considered a violation, and not that Microsoft is very likely to hunt you down if you do violate the EULA.

I would, however, recommend that you consider using a hosting service. For only a few dollars a month, you can get much greater reliability, and a much lower likelihood of your ISP detecting that you're violating your service agreement (which, I expect, says that you won't host public servers on your internet connection).

Wednesday, August 1, 2012 12:49 AM