Vista system with Windows Search 4 gets no results from WHS PP1 RRS feed

• Question

• Just updated my WHS to PP1, the only bad change I'm seeing is the inability to do a search on any of the WHS shares from a Vista Ultimate machine running Windows Search 4 RTM. 

Searching locally on the WHS through RD works fine, as does searching from another Vista machine, not running WS4.  This did work just prior to the upgrade, I use this feature for listening to music - many, many times a day.  I did reboot the Vista machine, and on the WHS, indexing looks to be complete.  I do get one blank default icon in the results.

Is this a known issue?  I've done a little searching around, but didn't see anything.  I know there is a WS4 version available for WHS, but I'm unsure about using it with PP1.

I did bug it: 350138

Thanks!

Tuesday, June 10, 2008 12:20 AM

All replies

• Currently Windows Home Server is still using a 3.x version of Windows Desktop Search to index the shared folders so that you can do a search from the remote access user interface and also open up a search window when using Vista to browse the shared folders on your home server.

Thanks for submitting a bug with good detailed "Repro" steps and a screenshot !

Tuesday, June 10, 2008 12:33 AM
  • Thanks for the response - so are we blaming WS4, specifically with PP1 since it did work prior on WHS RTM & WS4?  The functionality is more important to me then just running the latest thing, I may uninstall WS4 unless you're looking for further data from my systems.

Tuesday, June 10, 2008 12:38 AM
  • I am not assessing blame - your bug is being triaged - thanks for submitting a bug.  Please wait for the team to contact you through Microsoft Connect. 

Tuesday, June 10, 2008 12:42 AM
  • Thanks, will do.

Tuesday, June 10, 2008 12:47 AM
  • I updated Windows Search on WHS to WS4 prior to installing PP1 and have WS4 installed on a Vista client.

Searching from the Vista client returns the expected results from WHS.

Tuesday, June 10, 2008 9:43 AM