Is WHS PP3 Trustworthy? RRS feed

• Question

• I know similar questions has been ask before (I've read the post) but I want to know what the real life results are today, in 2011, with the latest version of WHS PP3. Given the horror stories I've read, I need to know what the latest results are that people are having. 

I'm already experiencing the "backup contains no volumes" error on one of my client computers which I have not been able to resolve, so I think my concerns are valid.

Specifically:

• Can I depend on WHS to provide disaster recovery support for my client computers?
    • Can I depend on WHS to safely store my TB of pictures, videos, docs, software, etc.
    • (answered) Can I install WHS on a computer with hardware RAID? I perfer real RAID to DE.

Please, no flaming. After several days of reading through post here, I just want some current feedback.

Thanks!

Friday, January 21, 2011 1:32 PM

Answers

• Well, after one unresolvable problem after another, I have given up on WHS V1 PP3. My problems consisted of corrupt backups, unhealthy duplicate volumes, corrupt files that could not be deleted, which lead to the final nail in the coffin, the inability to disable DE and thus gracefully remove the extra hard drive from the computer. When I removed it anyway, I was no longer able to load the Dashboard without errors and Storage Management capabilities.

Thankfully I was still able to access my data, which I promptly copied to another computer thus allowing me to retire WHS V1. I am now testing WHS 2011 and SBS 2011 Essentials. Good riddens to DE and thank you Microsoft for removing it.

PS: Another problem I noticed with DE was how much it slowed the PC down. I can't believe people are complaining about MS decision to remove it from WHS. I say Hallelujah!

Thursday, May 12, 2011 8:24 PM

All replies

• I can only speak from my experience with WHS ( and others may have had different experiences).

I have recovered several computers that had hard drive failures. I consider that disaster recovery.

I have recovered individual files on numerous occasions.

You could install with raid drives, but I would not recommend it. There will be NO support from MS (it's somewhat limited as it stands now). If you really want raid, I would go with Server 2003 or 2008. I have very limited experience with either, so someone else may be able to help more in that regards.

I am totally happy with my WHS running on a Dell Poweredge 400(if I remember right, don't have to mess with it much).

Cruise

Friday, January 21, 2011 3:17 PM
  • I'm perfectly happy with my EX475, it has never failed me, running for more then two years. As with all systems there's always exceptions, you simply can not rely on single system;

1. Can I depend on WHS to provide disaster recovery support for my client computers?

Yes, if you regularly check if you can open a backup. In addition (once) check for each client if you can start recovery using the recovery CD. In some cases you may need a disk with network or storage drivers.

2. Can I depend on WHS to safely store my TB of pictures, videos, docs, software, etc.

Yes, at least if you enable duplication for all the shares. For data you realy can't afford to loose you should make regular backups and store them off-site

3. Can I install WHS on a computer with hardware RAID? I perfer real RAID to DE.

RAID is not supported on WHS and as such puts your data at risk.

Henk Panneman - http://www.homeserverweb.nl
    Saturday, January 22, 2011 3:44 AM
  • Well, after one unresolvable problem after another, I have given up on WHS V1 PP3. My problems consisted of corrupt backups, unhealthy duplicate volumes, corrupt files that could not be deleted, which lead to the final nail in the coffin, the inability to disable DE and thus gracefully remove the extra hard drive from the computer. When I removed it anyway, I was no longer able to load the Dashboard without errors and Storage Management capabilities.

Thankfully I was still able to access my data, which I promptly copied to another computer thus allowing me to retire WHS V1. I am now testing WHS 2011 and SBS 2011 Essentials. Good riddens to DE and thank you Microsoft for removing it.

PS: Another problem I noticed with DE was how much it slowed the PC down. I can't believe people are complaining about MS decision to remove it from WHS. I say Hallelujah!

Thursday, May 12, 2011 8:24 PM

Unlikely most of your issues have anything to do with WHS v1 OS. Most likely there are underlying hardware problems, or the install has been messed up somehow. There's a very large userbase running WHS v1 without any problem. I do agree DE based duplication does slow the system down somewhat, however DE is active only once an hour so you shouldn't really notice it most of the time. Again if it does cause problems it's more likely you have issues with either on or more disks, the disk controller, NIC or another piece of hardware, or a driver issue. I hope WHS2011 will fullfill your needs.
    Friday, May 13, 2011 6:02 AM

Unlikely most of your issues have anything to do with WHS v1 OS. Most likely there are underlying hardware problems, or the install has been messed up somehow. There's a very large userbase running WHS v1 without any problem. I do agree DE based duplication does slow the system down somewhat, however DE is active only once an hour so you shouldn't really notice it most of the time. Again if it does cause problems it's more likely you have issues with either on or more disks, the disk controller, NIC or another piece of hardware, or a driver issue. I hope WHS2011 will fullfill your needs.

After 22 years in this industry, I think I know when I how to install an operating system.  I also know when I have hardware probelms.  Neither of your conclusions apply to my situation but thanks for your concern.

The problems I had so did plenty others.  I've since moved to WHS 2011 with no problems.  Good Day!

Roland White TechSquad Computer Services Atlanta Georgia USA
    Saturday, September 3, 2011 3:23 PM