Simulate an error to try the faultrecovery function RRS feed

• Question

• I recently bought a used HP Mediasmart server with a 500gb disk, and added a green caviar disk of 640gb.
    I set up folder duplication on Photos, redirected My Documents on my XP client to my userfolder on the server and duplicated that folder too. At this moment there is a lot of unused space on the server.

1. Is there a way I can see that files actually are duplicated on both disks?
    2. How could I simulate a diskerror to see that it really recovers my files, must be hard with only two disks since I cannot remove the 500gb with the system on it and then see the files?

I want to be sure it's working as expected...

3. Do I need a software firewall to this server? It's a NAT device now under my netgearrouter and have a 192.168.x.x address. I guess the server has it's own firewall like any XP client, and then maybe a better one as well?
    On my XP clients I don't use any other than the built in.
    • Moved by Ken WarrenModerator Saturday, March 14, 2009 2:19 PM not a hardware/installation question (Moved from Windows Home Server Hardware and Installation to Windows Home Server Software)
    Saturday, March 14, 2009 7:34 AM

Answers

1. There's no supported way to verify that duplication is working. If it weren't, though, there would be a hue and cry in the press that you would not believe. So I would recommend you trust that it's working. :)
    2. What sort of disk error do you want to simulate? A disk failure can be simulated by shutting the server down and removing a drive. If you do that with the system disk, you would then need to perform a server recovery per the HP documentation. If you do it with the second disk, you would just remove the disk using the console after rebooting the server, and your server should turn off duplication and continue on it's way. Either scenario could result in the loss of your backup database, however.
    3. I would recommend very strongly against trying to install any software on your HP MediaSmart Server that does anything with the networking configuration of the server. Since the HP server is headless, you would need to connect to it using remote desktop to install the software, and something like a firewall may very possibly lock you out of the server during the installation, requiring you to perform a server recovery to regain any access to the server.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, March 14, 2009 2:19 PM
  • JME2009 said:

I recently bought a used HP Mediasmart server with a 500gb disk, and added a green caviar disk of 640gb.
    I set up folder duplication on Photos, redirected My Documents on my XP client to my userfolder on the server and duplicated that folder too. At this moment there is a lot of unused space on the server.

2. How could I simulate a diskerror to see that it really recovers my files, must be hard with only two disks since I cannot remove the 500gb with the system on it and then see the files?

3. Do I need a software firewall to this server? It's a NAT device now under my netgearrouter and have a 192.168.x.x address. I guess the server has it's own firewall like any XP client, and then maybe a better one as well?

For question 1, you could use the Duplication Info add-in (although I'm not sure how up-to-date it is since I don't use it and I don't personally see a need for it because I, like Ken, trust that it's working :)  ).
    Saturday, March 14, 2009 4:16 PM

All replies

1. There's no supported way to verify that duplication is working. If it weren't, though, there would be a hue and cry in the press that you would not believe. So I would recommend you trust that it's working. :)
    2. What sort of disk error do you want to simulate? A disk failure can be simulated by shutting the server down and removing a drive. If you do that with the system disk, you would then need to perform a server recovery per the HP documentation. If you do it with the second disk, you would just remove the disk using the console after rebooting the server, and your server should turn off duplication and continue on it's way. Either scenario could result in the loss of your backup database, however.
    3. I would recommend very strongly against trying to install any software on your HP MediaSmart Server that does anything with the networking configuration of the server. Since the HP server is headless, you would need to connect to it using remote desktop to install the software, and something like a firewall may very possibly lock you out of the server during the installation, requiring you to perform a server recovery to regain any access to the server.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, March 14, 2009 2:19 PM
  • JME2009 said:

I recently bought a used HP Mediasmart server with a 500gb disk, and added a green caviar disk of 640gb.

For question 1, you could use the Duplication Info add-in (although I'm not sure how up-to-date it is since I don't use it and I don't personally see a need for it because I, like Ken, trust that it's working :)  ).
    Saturday, March 14, 2009 4:16 PM