Should I go new or old hardware, expert advice needed? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi to all of you,

Right now here are the spec of my WHS:

Motherboard : Aopen I915Gmm-hfs

CPU : 1.73 ghz Pentium M  (http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_lookup.php?cpu=Intel+Pentium+M+1.73GHz)

2x 512 MB of RAM

3x Western Digital green 1 terabyte SATA drive

Gigabyte NIC

I think my WHS is doing ok besides the fact that I don't know how I can benchmark it ??

Should I stick with this specification or install WHS on the other DELL optiplex 330 that I have (with dual core 1.8 ghz).

1) In my actual system, my 3 terabyte hard disk are sata 2 disks (300mb/s), but my motherboard only support sata I (150mb/s) does it have a great impact on performance?

2) My processor is pentium M 1.7ghz, Of course the core duo 1.8 ghz is better but will I really see the difference?

3) No idea if the Optiplex 330 has driver for windows server 2003, I know it has the drivers for XP but will they work on WHS?

Here are the specification of my network:

- My house is new and totally gigabyte wired

- 1 X MCE, HDMI 15m, Philips 36'' LCD TV
    - 1 X MCE, VGA , touch screen in kitchen
    - 1X Windows Home Server (3x Western Digital green 1 TeraByte Disk)

- 1x OPTIPLEX in office

Sometimes I am listening to music on the MCE in the kitchen, my wife is watching recorded TV  and my kids are watching DVD in the office. This is the worst scenario, it doesn't not happen all the time!

If you think I can get 50% more speed by using the new hardware then I'd go for it, but gaining 10% speed and having to spend the money for new hardware, maybe it is not worth it??? Once again how to benchmark WHS and see wich hardware is better?

I really don't know what to do, what would you expert do?

Thanks a lot for your help

Dag

Saturday, November 10, 2007 9:58 PM

All replies

•  daghood wrote:

I think my WHS is doing ok besides the fact that I don't know how I can benchmark it ??

1) In my actual system, my 3 terabyte hard disk are sata 2 disks (300mb/s), but my motherboard only support sata I (150mb/s) does it have a great impact on performance?

2) My processor is pentium M 1.7ghz, Of course the core duo 1.8 ghz is better but will I really see the difference?

3) No idea if the Optiplex 330 has driver for windows server 2003, I know it has the drivers for XP but will they work on WHS?

Sometimes I am listening to music on the MCE in the kitchen, my wife is watching recorded TV  and my kids are watching DVD in the office. This is the worst scenario, it doesn't not happen all the time!

I really don't know what to do, what would you expert do?

Thanks a lot for your help

Dag

I would build it out and see what happens... basically. 

The only issue I'd be concerned about was finding he driver for the 330.  You should contact dell and see what they say.... you may have to put the driver package together yourself from vendors. 

You don't need to benchmark the server... plug it up and let it run for a while and see if you are happy with the results... if not, upgrade.  Sounds like you want to upgrade anyway... maybe you should do that and dump the 330 from the get go. 

Sunday, November 11, 2007 4:09 AM
  •  

The old equipment is more than enough.  In fact, unless you modify the underlying OS heavily (not recommended) you will only need 512MB of memory.  WHS is primarily an I/O intensive system, not CPU or memory intensive.  To get the maximum performance out of WHS, make sure that you use hard drives with low seek times, high RPM and use the fastest available connection bus you have for drives (and stay away from USB 1.1 anything storage related!)

Good luck!

Sunday, November 11, 2007 4:13 AM
  • For a server that you are intending to use for an extended period in production (i.e. storing your family's precious digital stuff, running backups, etc.) I would strongly recommend new hardware, whether you buy that hardware already assembled into a server (the HP and other units) or you buy parts and assemble them yourself. This is because older parts are subject to a range of ills; fans will fail more readily, the electrolytic capacitors that are all over most computer components are getting old, they are less efficient overall (increased power consumption), etc.
    Sunday, November 11, 2007 4:18 AM
  •  

I am not too worried about the hardware being too old or worn out. It has not been used a lot. So I am sure it can still work for many years ! I was more afraid or performance issue.

The motherboard has 2 SATA connector and 2 SATA II connector.

Knowing that I have 3 SATA II disk, which one should I connect to the slowest connector, the partition disk? or one of the data disk?

Dag

Sunday, November 11, 2007 1:40 PM
  • Connect one of the data disks to the slowest connector.  Your drive with SYS on it will be busy handling server activities as well as serving and balancing files; so be sure it is hooked up to one of the faster ports.

Sunday, November 11, 2007 4:35 PM