Exchange Search Indexer will not remain disabled RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

We are running Exchange 2010 SP3 UR5, and we use SCOM 2012 to monitor Exchange. We have two mailbox servers at our DR site that host passive copies of our databases. Our pipe to DR is sometimes slow, and as a result the content indexes on these DR mailbox servers are often times corrupt or stuck crawling, and the log replay queues on the active servers will remain high while they try to replicate the catalogs. 

What we did to combat this was simply stop and disable indexing on the passive servers so that the catalogs wouldn't be replicated. Mailboxes are only active on these servers during DR testing, so we don't need the search function over there. This fixes the issue and the log queues drop quickly. However, after some time, the index service is restarted and placed back in an automatic-startup state. The logs indicate this is being done by SYSTEM, not an actual user. We suspect it is SCOM doing some sort of automatic resolution to the service being stopped and disabled, but cannot confirm that because I am not a SCOM guy (nor do we have one).

Has anyone had experience with this issue? Does the Exchange MP for SCOM 2012 have self-healing capabilities built into it by default?

Wednesday, May 21, 2014 4:02 PM

All replies

• Ok so I found it is indeed SCOM. SCOM runs the Troubleshoot-CI.PS1 script every two hours on each server, and it is finding the failed indexes on my passive servers and attempting to repair them by restarting the Index service.
    Wednesday, May 21, 2014 6:24 PM