SMS/Text Messages (and other alerts) - Help many of us WM users please! RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am kind of shocked that I haven't stumbled upon this complaint / request within this forum. Here goes...

If I have an incoming call, a ringer of my choice (assigned to all or individually) will play to alert me. When I answer the call, it stops playing the ringer sound immediately. I would like the same to happen for my messages. When I receive SMS/text messages (my main concern) upon checking the message, the sound should cease. It is not doing this. It continues to play for the full duration of the tone/mp3.  If I receive multiple messages or reminders of some kind, it will overlap. The same goes for missed calls, voicemails, and other alerts.  How can this be fixed?

I have an unlocked HP iPAQ 510 Voice Messenger. It doesn't matter which brand of phone I have really or the carrier. It's unlocked. It doesn't matter which version of Windows Mobile I am running. Windows Mobile 5 and 6 has this problem. I have been trying to research this (to help a friend) long before I received this phone a few weeks ago. I was wondering if this is just an issue for unlocked phones. I checked another friend's locked Windows Mobile phone to see if they have issues with tones continuing to play the full length. They have these same issues, which makes no since to me.

Many people purchase smartphones and pocket pcs that are locked and unlocked with Windows Mobile at various prices. All phones are not available through carriers or all carriers. I have been to sooooo many forums and developer websites where I have read that people in the US and different countries are having the same issue with their SMS/text message tones continuing to play even after it has been checked/read. These people and I want to know how to edit the registry or some file in order to stop this! The better thing to do would be to give us an update or something and correct all Windows Mobile software that is released in the future. Is it true that there will be a release in 2008? 

The answer is not for us to continuously change the profiles. The answer is not for us to shut our phones off to get the tones to stop playing. The answer is not for us to just wait it out. The answer is not for us to select a really short tone, since we are given the option to choose tones of our choice or assign distinct ones to distinct contacts. Seeing as to how we don't get a second, third, etc reminder tone that we have a message of any kind or notification, what good would a short tone do us???  The answer is not to rely on third party software to help us just a little bit with reminders.

Now, yes. One could tell me this is a good suggestion or that it should be reviewed at the next conference. However, I and others would really like some information to be given back or tell us who can help. Some indication that it has been researched or being worked on somewhere/somehow on Windows Mobile would be greatly appreciated. I could even update those in various forums that a fix is out there or coming. It's been years. Please help us.

Thank you in advance for your help.

SF

Thursday, January 17, 2008 4:28 AM

All replies

• Hi SF,

You probably are not going to like this answer, but the issue is noted and indeed should be addressed in either an update or feature releases.

However there are many recommendations/issues. And trust me, The developers are working hard on many features for the future. So any of the quick self solutions you have posted (shorter tones for example) will indeed solve your current short coming of the operating system. I know it has no reminder function, But imagine if your phone keeps reminding your SMS message that is each time a 45 second sound file. That would be a problem too.

I hope I was able to explain to you that nothing is perfect yet but we are aiming for it.

Thursday, January 17, 2008 3:49 PM
  •  

Hi Johan,

Thank you or your reply. We're hoping that it will be addressed in an update or something.There are various issues with the software for Windows. This particular issue isn't high up on the list most likely. There will always be more improvements and additions to be made, which is a wonderful thing.

If there was a reminder function available I would hope it wouldn't just keep going off every minute or less. I would think a more reasonable amount of time for reminders would be programmed in or allow us to set the amount of time that should pass when the reminder is activated (like other phones and other software do). I wouldn't use a long tone if the reminder would activate before my tone was finished but at least too much time wouldn't pass before knowing that I have an alert or message.  My understanding is that there is some third party software out there that allows for reminders and allows the playing to be stopped.  I'll look into it. As others have noted, it would be great not to have to make certain additions that could or would effect our Window Mobile.

You are right. Nothing is perfect and everything can't be pleasing to everyone. I just hope that issue surrounding messages and alerts will be addressed sooner rather than later. Don't get me wrong - I like Windows Mobile. It would just be great to have a lot of the same functions that are available in other phones that are not present in Windows Mobile.

Again, I thank you for your reply. Smile

SF

Thursday, January 17, 2008 9:15 PM
  • You're Welcome

Thursday, January 17, 2008 9:55 PM
  • I will tell you winsome_88 that the reason for the suggestion box is for just what you did.  I know that Microsoft sees and reads this area ... that is why it is there.  I don't expect every suggestion will be given but I do expect that they will look at and evaluate the need.  Making a suggestion with a good explanation like yours can only help heighten awareness of an issue.

Good job!

Thursday, January 17, 2008 10:04 PM
  •  

anyone know if this is getting anywhere? every forum everywhere has something about this....i could buy a £20 phone which would not have this problem...i can't leave it on silent all the time....just when i receive a text when the phones in my hand i have to let it play out while everyone wonders what i am doing!!
    Sunday, March 2, 2008 7:27 PM
  • I would assume that if they are working on this we will see it in WM7.

Sunday, March 2, 2008 9:30 PM
  •  

I know this does not seem like a real criticle issue but for me this has been my biggest problem. I have to use a phone with windows mobile when I am on call. I get paged through a SMS message. When I get paged in the middle of the night I endup waking the whole house up cause I can't acknowledge the message and turn off the ringer. I tried vibrate which did not wake me up and resulted in missing a critical page. Not to mention when a system crashes I get a bunch of messages ringing over each other all at once with no way to stop them.
    Tuesday, March 18, 2008 5:34 PM
  • I handle 40 of these units with people on call. They get the callouts vis SMS and need the reminder. Has there been any solution to this. Pagers of 15 years ago had this ability...why not now?

Is there a 3rd party program to help?

Thursday, August 21, 2008 1:15 AM
  • Since I doubt this issue will be resolved anytime soon may I suggest shortening the alert?  There are a number of freely available software titles that will do this for you.

Thursday, August 21, 2008 3:32 AM