none
Windows Server Core Installation RRS feed

• Question

• Can HPC Pack 2016 be installed on a headless Windows Server Core edition? Is there an msiexec command to do this without a GUI?

Specifically, I would like to use Windows Server Core for my worker nodes so am looking for how to both install the worker node role and connect it to an existing head node all via powershell. 

Thanks,

Dave

Friday, December 1, 2017 1:08 PM

All replies

• So, it seems you're specifically prevented from running the HpcServer_x64.msi:

msiexec /i HpcServer_x64.msi /log "C:\Temp\HpcServer.log" /quiet /qn /forcerestart ADDLOCAL=ComputeNode

=== Logging started: 12/2/2017  11:01:51 ===
    Action start 11:01:51: INSTALL.
    Action start 11:01:51: AppSearch.
    Action ended 11:01:52: AppSearch. Return value 1.
    Action start 11:01:52: LaunchConditions.
    MSI (s) (20:34) [11:01:52:015]: Product: Microsoft (R) HPC Pack 2016 Server Components -- To install or change this product please run Setup.exe

To install or change this product please run Setup.exe
    Action ended 11:01:52: LaunchConditions. Return value 3.
    Action ended 11:01:52: INSTALL. Return value 3.

IIUC this prevents a Server Core version from being a HPC Worker Node? Is there any particular reason for this? Is there a work-around for this or if not can this restriction be relaxed for the upcoming version? 

Saturday, December 2, 2017 1:14 AM
  • We haven't tried Server Core actually as you're the first that requested this.

You shall have the full .net installed on the server core first. Then try: setup /unattend /computenode:<headnodename>;

Qiufang

Qiufang Shi

Saturday, December 2, 2017 2:54 AM
  • I'm running Windows Server 1709 for the latest container features. I'm hoping to also make use of the HPC scheduler to spin up jobs on our containers in a hybrid cloud, but we'll see how far I get! Thanks for the info - I'll give that a go and report back.

Since 1709 only comes in a Server Core variant it would be great if Windows HPC supported headless servers. I think for HPC Worker Nodes it makes a lot of sense - you don't really need a GUI for most HPC jobs...

Thanks,

Dave

Saturday, December 2, 2017 3:42 AM
  • No joy unfortunately. The command doesn't appear to do anything and AFAICS there are no logs to help debugging.

Is there any way to get that command to output to log file or display debugging info without requiring a GUI?

The server has .NET 4.7 Full installed which should be sufficient right?

PSChildName Version   Release Product
    ----------- -------   ------- -------
    Client      4.7.02556  461308
    Full        4.7.02556  461308
    Client      4.0.0.0

-Dave

• Edited by dhirschfeld Saturday, December 2, 2017 11:07 PM
    Saturday, December 2, 2017 6:42 AM
  • Hi,

the setup logs should be located under c:\windows\temp\hpcsetuplogs\ folder. Please take a check of the logs.

Windows container support is coming in a future release. In the upcoming (this month) HPC Pack 2016 Update 1 release we only added linux docker support.

As you're setting up HPC Pack 2016 compute node, you may need to specify certificate as well. Here is our unattend command used for daily testing:

\\<HN_Name>\REMINST\setup.exe -unattend -ComputeNode:<HN_Name> -SSLPfxFilePath:"\\HN_Name\REMINST\certificates\test.pfx" -SSLPfxFilePassword:"<pwd>"

Qiufang Shi

Monday, December 4, 2017 1:59 AM
  • Just to close this off, installing from the command line on a Windows Server Core OS did work.

After checking the logs the problem was with the certificate used and fixing that allowed the installation to complete successfully.

Thanks for your help - knowing where to find the logs was a key piece of information!

-Dave

Tuesday, January 16, 2018 4:05 AM