Live OneCare reports that Quarantine Failed for software Trojan:JS/Redirector.E RRS feed

• Question

• Live OneCare reports that Quarantine Failed for software Trojan:JS/Redirector.E and offers me no further options, such as delete or clean all, and doesn't even give me a file location.

How am I meant to remove this threat?
    Saturday, May 17, 2008 2:12 PM

Answers

All replies

• See the FAQs on "Quarantine Failed" in this post - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1548384&SiteID=2

If you still need assistance after reading the post please contact support. How to reach support - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

Saturday, May 17, 2008 3:04 PM
  • Hey

Can you do the following to get the path of the malware. Through these logs it will be easier to find why it failed to quarantine. Please let me know if you face any problem in any of the steps.

1. Open OneCare

2. Click on Change Settings

3. It will open a window "Windows LiveOne Care Settings"

4. Click on the Last tab labelled as "Logging"

5. Click on "Create support Log" button

6. It will create the support log file in form of HTML and display it in Web Browser like IE

7. Click on the "Virus and spyware Protection" link

7. It wll take you the "Virus and spyware Protection" where it will tell you about the viruses it One Care found.

8. Can you send me that information through email at montyj@microsoft.com

Please let me know if you face any problem with any of these steps.

thanks

Monty Jain[MSFT] montyj@microsoft.com

Thanks

Monty

Saturday, May 17, 2008 6:35 PM
  • My OneCare has detected but will not perform any action on a number of outlook.pst files.  The file location given does not seem to exist.  I cannot locate the "Local Settings" folder to be more specific.  As a result I cannot search for and manually delete the infected files.  I tried looking for the file from Outlook but ha d the same issue. There is an "Application Data" folder in the folder (name withheld for security reasons). but no Outlook.PST file exists within the Outlook folder.  Can you help.  I have created a log on the infected files and locations.

C:\Windows.old\Documents and Settings\file name witheld for security reasons\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\outlook.pst

Wednesday, May 21, 2008 1:55 AM
  • The \Local Settings folder is hidden. To see it, you need to have Show Hidden Files and Folders enabled.

However, you don't want to take action on the actual .pst file as the infection will be located in one or more attachments in your emails. Open OneCare, click on change settings, go to the logging tab and click on create a support log. A report will appear in your browser. Scroll to the Virus and Spyware section to see more details about the infection or infections, including the attachment file name and, I believe, the message subject. In Outlook, look for these messages and delete them. Then delete them from your Deleted items folder. You may also want to delete your Junk mail folder, which is a likely location for infected messages.

If you need help, contact support.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Wednesday, May 21, 2008 12:21 PM