downloading sunset fails, "requires elevation" error RRS feed

• Question

• I'm on a new laptop running w10, anyone know what this error means and whether it is easily resolved?  Maybe sunset is not compatible to 64 bit?
    Saturday, December 16, 2017 11:12 PM

All replies

• Money Plus Sunset runs just fine on Windows 10 64-bit.  It may be that you are logged in to your new computer with a standard account and you need to be using an administrator account (or provide the administrator's password) to install Money on your new computer. 

In any event, you should download Money Plus Sunset using the link in the second "sticky" thread in this forum:

https://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/479281b2-90f9-42ca-85f7-644fc6e1e5c3/download-microsoft-money-installation-files-solve-activation-and-some-other-errors?forum=money

Once installed, it should be able to open the Money.mny file that you copied from your old computer.  If the installation fails, post back with the exact error message that you receive.

Once you have Money Plus Sunset up and running you should also replace the mnyob99.dll file as described in the first "sticky" thread in this forum:

https://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/d28d6921-1f01-430f-b33e-f5a3ec47077b/important-patch-for-money-plus-maybe-20062007-mnyob99dll?forum=money

If you previous Money version was not a US version then you need to download and install the appropriate regional version from that second "sticky" post.

Post back if you need help with any of this.

Bill Becker

Sunday, December 17, 2017 4:21 AM
  • If your new laptop is running Windows 10 S you can only install apps from the Windows Store.

You will need to upgrade to Windows 10 Pro to install Money or any other non-Store application.

Sunday, December 17, 2017 9:43 AM
  • Thanks, I'm running w10 Home which I believe is sufficient.

As hinted by Bill and clarified by an internet search, I made some progress by saving the executable file instead of running it directly, then right-clicking to "run as administrator".  That resolved the "requires elevation" error, and initiated the install.  However, I don't think the install went through completely; I get the licensing terms and other promising signs, but the install bar inches ahead then jumps to "done" without creating a shortcut.  I can see Money in my programs, but launching it produces the welcome panel and plays the Money startup sound, then hangs.  Worse yet, task manager cannot see it, but there it is stuck on my screen, requiring restart to clear it.

I'll keep reading all the help, you're all very dedicated and generous with your time.  Although, it may be more efficient just to keep my old vista-based T500 going as a single-task device for another decade.

Andy

Sunday, December 17, 2017 2:36 PM
  • Windows 10 Home will be fine for personal use.

Do you have more than one security suite installed?
    Your new laptop will have come with a suite pre-installed. If you have installed something else without removing the pre-installed suite you can have serious problems.

If this is the case, uninstall the suite you have installed. Then uninstall the pre-installed suite.
    Once both are uninstalled find, download and run the manufacturers clean-up utilities for both suites.

When you are back to Windows Defender after a clean boot you can install the security suite of your choice.

Sunday, December 17, 2017 3:49 PM
  • Thanks, Dominic, I didn't have additional security installed.  I've made some further progress after realizing that I had also installed Money 2004 (non-sunset) and that was the one hanging.  I uninstalled it and then launched sunset and it came up.  Now I just have to figure out how to import my data file and customized reports and other settings, as well as the ofx app to download prices.
    Sunday, December 17, 2017 5:40 PM
  • To import your old data and reports etc, copy your old *.mny to your Documents folder. Open Money by right-clicking that file, and chose open. Thereafter Money remembers the last file accessed. Once inside, do set up the backups to go to places that exist on the new computer. The best way to do that is to Browse to the backup file  locations rather than trying to type them in.

I like to have my scheduled backups go to a USB flash drive, and have the upon-exit backups go to the hard drive.

If you want to download prices and not transactions, I would suggest MSMoneyQuotes. Cheap one-time fee after a free trial. It is more tightly integrated with Money.  Less learning curve than other solutions. It offers intra-day prices too. It uses the MSN Money quote server.

If you want transactions imported automatically or semi-automatically using OFX, PocketSense is great. It takes some setup, but that ability is really nice. Brokers and credit cards often have the required servers. Most banks don't, but most you can download OFX from their websites. If they only give QFX and not OFX, its an easy enough thing to make that work. Only the first quote downloaded each day is remembered. I have it run by the windows scheduler in the middle of the night to give the broker time to get things entered. The broker OFX includes closing prices usually.

Sunday, December 17, 2017 7:24 PM