Hosting a blog RRS feed

• Question

• I am looking for an addin that will allow me to host a simple blog.

I have looked at the Homebase addin posts but it is unclear to me how well this works. Are there any other solutions or is Homebase the best option?

Thanks
    Wednesday, February 13, 2008 1:21 AM

Answers

All replies

• Does it have to be an add-inÉ

If not then I suggest checking out DasBlog at http://www.dasblog.info/
    Wednesday, February 13, 2008 2:48 AM
  • I'm always up for a challenger so how difficult is it to set up?

Are there issues with the size of the system drive?
    Wednesday, February 13, 2008 12:10 PM
  • Pretty easy setup, and if you run into difficulties there is a pretty active community that can help you out.

I run mine off a share, just pointing IIS at d:\folders\shares\blah  this way it gets duplicated.  Not sure if this puts me at risk of the data corruption bug but I've been doing it that way since the first public beta without issue.

Dan
    Wednesday, February 13, 2008 1:25 PM
  • You could use the Telligent Graffiti CMS if you want the blog to reside on your WHS. More info is here and the download is available from here.

Additional info is available on my blog:

http://mswhs.com/2007/11/05/create-web-sites-or-blogs-with-windows-home-server/

http://mswhs.com/2007/11/07/crate-blogs-and-web-sites-using-windows-home-server/

Hope this helps.

Wednesday, February 13, 2008 4:06 PM
  • Phillip,

I'd really appreciate knowing exactly how you got this to work properly.  I saw your original post on this software for the beta test and I applied.  I tested the beta software during beta 1 and 2 and always wound up with the same result.  Initially both worked as advertised but 2-3 days in, they both ceased functioning properly. That is to say, I found myself not being able to make changes to the blog.

As background, I set my graffiti blog up in a windows share and made all the recommended read/write changes as directed.  My windows home server is a home-built.  When it didn't work as advertised, I e-mailed the vendor about my problem:

Is it possible to create the graffiti site in a WHS shared folder and utilizing Andrew Grants WHS add-in "WHIIST" ( http://www.andrewgrant.org/whiist ) instead of creating a IIs virtual site.....and if so how exactly do you recommend doing it?

Thanks in advance for your reply!

========================================================================

I got this reply:

========================================================================

Hi Michael,

We do not have any experience with WHIIST, so I cannot say for sure.

Graffiti definitely needs to be installed in the root of a web site or virtual directory, so if WHIIST is not creating a virtual directory or web site, I would not expect it to work properly.

========================================================================================

Even after this experience, I purchased the license for graffiti cms 1 because I liked the simplicity of the software when it works!  I also phone telligent and spoke with one of their techs there an emailed him some information he requested:

====================================================================================

This is in reference to our telephone call this morning and my problem with Graffiti running in the new Microsoft Windows Home Server.  I am running the program using the sample database in a windows share file.  When I first apply the program, everything works as it should. The next day, it loads the program but throws an error when I try to login to the admin area. Attached is the PDF file which contains the error message you requested.

I am hopeful that you'll be able to solve the problem and am eagerly awaiting the results of your efforts.

Please feel free to call or email me if there is anything else you might need from me in order to resolve the problem.  Finally, thank you in advance for your assistance.

=====================================================================================

I haven't heard back from Graffiti yet and am anxiously awaiting their reply.  I now find myself pondering if my difficulties are relative to the current WHS data coruption problem or even not being able to use Andrew's WHIIST program to create the share site for graffiti.

Any light you or others here can shed on this problem would be appreciated.  I'd really like to get this program functioning properly.

Wednesday, February 20, 2008 3:39 PM
  • Hi Michael J Weldon,

When I was reviewing Graffiti I never had any problems for the week i was using it, but I never had Whiist installed. Uninstall Whiist (temporary) to see  if that cures the problem. If so contact Andrew, the developer of Whiist to see if he has any idea why they are not working together.

Thursday, February 21, 2008 12:07 PM
  • I would recommend that you look at BlogEngine.NET.  Excellent product and easy to setup!

www.dotnetblogengine.net

Thursday, February 28, 2008 12:08 AM
  •  Philip Churchill wrote:

Uninstall Whiist (temporary) to see  if that cures the problem. If so contact Andrew, the developer of Whiist to see if he has any idea why they are not working together.

Be careful unistalling Whiist, check with Andew's site for instructions.  I did not and ended up having to do a repair install to get WHS back to where it would work, there has to be a better way.

Wednesday, March 12, 2008 2:43 AM
  • Phillip,

I didn't respond to your suggestion right away but after considerable research and repeated direct communication with Telligent (The makers of graffiti),  I am now convinced that all my problems were due to the current corruption bug in Windows Home Server.  I run a WHS with five (5) hard drives.  Once I installed Graffiti, it would work fine for the first day, on install, but overnight it would crash and burn.  By crash and burn, I mean the site data would display but typically it would throw an error while trying to login to the dashboard.

Since the use of graffiti involves writing to the database repeatedly, I believe the current corruption issue reared its ugly head and cause problems with my installation.  I also found that the server threw some hash errors when this took place which I was able to look at in the events monitor.

Finally, I have shared my experiences with telligent and responded to the WHS teams request for information regarding experience with file corruption.  So, until the fix is provided, I will not be running Graffiti on my site.

Friday, March 14, 2008 11:34 PM
  • Hi,

You could always try running it with the database on a disk that's on the server, but not been added to the storage pool. WHS doesn't have anything to do with it, and it can be allocated a drive letter from the Disk Management of the underlying server 2003.

Colin

Saturday, March 15, 2008 6:06 PM