Unable to install Project 2016 with Office 2013 suite RRS feed

• Question

• I have an environment that is on Office 2013, and i'm setting up a new laptop (with office 2013 installed) but also need to download Project through my Office 365 subscription, we sub to Project only. Project has updated to 2016 and upon install it requires me to remove the only copy of Office we own, 2013. 

How do I install along side 2013 or install Project 2013? 
    Monday, September 28, 2015 3:44 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi njhuber83,

Are you able to share a screen shot at all?

Ben Howard [MVP] | web | blog | book | P2O

Monday, September 28, 2015 9:16 PM
  • Hello,

I have the same problem. I purchased MS Project Standard 2016 and customer has on his laptop Office 2013 and I'm not able to install MS Project Standard 2016 with Office 2013 for bussiness. Is there any option to downgrade MS Project Standard 2016 to MS Project Standard 2013?

Your sincerely,

David Dubovicky

Thursday, November 19, 2015 2:58 PM
  • Hi David, I'd still love a screen shot.  You should be able to install Project 2016 on a client with 2013, however my understanding is that you can't mix Click2Run (C2R) with MSI.  Given you're running 2013 and Project Standard I don't think that this is an issue. Personally I have Office 2013 and 2016 on my PC, plus Project 2007/2010/2013 and 2016... Windows 8.1

Thursday, November 19, 2015 5:16 PM
  • Hi Ben,

I am running Office 2013 Home and Business. We have just purchased a copy of Projects 2016 Standard and I received an error that it needs to remove my office. 

I obviously cannot uninstall Office as the exchange and other features on this are important

Please help

Tuesday, February 9, 2016 1:31 PM
  • Hi Gary,

I'm afraid there's not much I can do, except to suggest that you ensure you are on the latest updates for Office2013, and then try the install of Project 2016. 

Tuesday, February 9, 2016 2:03 PM
  • Office Home/Business is not compatible with Project.

Gary Chefetz, MCITP, MCP, MVP msProjectExperts
    Project and Project ServerFAQs
    Project Server Help BLOG

Wednesday, February 10, 2016 10:10 PM
  • Anyone ever address an answer to this.  I've got clients who are very frustrated after having purchased Project 2016 (since they were no longer able to purchase 2013) but are unable to install it because the machine has Office 2013.

The only response I've ever heard was "wait for Microsoft to put out a patch to allow Project 2016 to coexist with Office 2013... but it's been months and... nothing unless I missed it somewhere.  If I did miss it, I'd love to be pointed at the link to the patch, if I did not miss it, then I need to get my client their $$$ back for their purchase of a worthless license of Project.

Thursday, March 3, 2016 6:48 AM
  • Hi LTTB,

Alas I don't have an answer for you, and haven't been able to confirm Gary Chefetz's answer either (I'm not sure why a stand-alone product such a Project should/would care about other office versions).  A screen shot would still be good, but given you have a Partner affiliation with Microsoft I would use those resources to try and get an answer.  If one appears, please post it to help the group.

Thursday, March 3, 2016 7:05 AM
  • Ben:

Home/Office cannot exist with the business versions period. I believe it's a common objects problem. Other incompatibility issues are documented here:

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Install-and-use-different-versions-of-Office-on-the-same-PC-6ebb44ce-18a3-43f9-a187-b78c513788bf?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/projectsupport/2015/09/23/project-2016-should-i-upgrade/

LTTB, clear your flame flag, don't blame the messenger just because you don't like the answer. 

Project Server Help BLOG

Friday, April 15, 2016 11:29 AM
  • The issue is that Office 2013 and 2016 products can't coexist - this is a 'bug' not a 'feature'.  With regard to Home/Office v. other version of Office, if its not considered viable for business, don't put "Office" on the name, and don't include Outlook... the "Exchange Server Client" - If you want a version that meets those criteria, try Home/Student.

Most importantly - If is isn't a solution, and you mark it 'Answered', it wastes my time and the time of anybody searching the forums for solutions. -Its inappropriate and irresponsible.

Friday, April 15, 2016 11:06 PM
  • LTTB: If you find the service unsatisfactory, don't pay the bill.

Project Server Help BLOG

Saturday, April 16, 2016 2:10 AM