Turning UAC control off completely RRS feed

• Question

• I'm a developer who has inherited an application designed for Windows XP. The application is not working "out of the box" on Windows 7, mainly because registry change to HKLM and file changes to C:\Program Files are not being allowed. The application is NOT for general consumers - it goes onto dedicated PCs in factories and sits there gathering network data from various machines on the factory floor. The machine does not need to use an internet browser (so surfing to dodgy websites is not an issue) and USB and CD/DVD drive AutoPlay can be turned off.

Is it possible to manually turn off all the nasty Windows 7 security settings like UAC so that the application can write to HKLM and C:\Program Files like it did under Windows XP?

How do you turn off USB AutoPlay on Windows 7? On Windows XP there was a TweakUI application, but I cannot seem to find the equivalent for Windows 7. Can I achieve the same thing using RegEdit?

Thanks,
    Alain

Wednesday, June 20, 2012 11:21 AM

Answers

• "Alain Dekker, 2" wrote in message news:e8efb1aa-9741-4a2b-ae1b-cd90cd4de5bd...

I'm a developer who has inherited an application designed for Windows XP. The application is not working "out of the box" on Windows 7, mainly because registry change to HKLM and file changes to C:\Program Files are not being allowed. The application is NOT for general consumers - it goes onto dedicated PCs in factories and sits there gathering network data from various machines on the factory floor. The machine does not need to use an internet browser (so surfing to dodgy websites is not an issue) and USB and CD/DVD drive AutoPlay can be turned off.

Is it possible to manually turn off all the nasty Windows 7 security settings like UAC so that the application can write to HKLM and C:\Program Files like it did under Windows XP?

How do you turn off USB AutoPlay on Windows 7? On Windows XP there was a TweakUI application, but I cannot seem to find the equivalent for Windows 7. Can I achieve the same thing using RegEdit?

Thanks,
    Alain

This is not the appropriate forum for such questions - you should repost in the more appropriate ITPro forum here...

Having said that, yes - it's easy :) - but it may not be the most appropriate solution.
    Have you tried installing in Compatibility mode?
    Try that before you repost.

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Wednesday, June 20, 2012 11:38 AM

All replies

• "Alain Dekker, 2" wrote in message news:e8efb1aa-9741-4a2b-ae1b-cd90cd4de5bd...

I'm a developer who has inherited an application designed for Windows XP. The application is not working "out of the box" on Windows 7, mainly because registry change to HKLM and file changes to C:\Program Files are not being allowed. The application is NOT for general consumers - it goes onto dedicated PCs in factories and sits there gathering network data from various machines on the factory floor. The machine does not need to use an internet browser (so surfing to dodgy websites is not an issue) and USB and CD/DVD drive AutoPlay can be turned off.

Thanks,
    Alain

This is not the appropriate forum for such questions - you should repost in the more appropriate ITPro forum here...

Having said that, yes - it's easy :) - but it may not be the most appropriate solution.

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Wednesday, June 20, 2012 11:38 AM
  • I've found the w7itproXXX groups you refer to and I will try to repost there.

Thanks and regards,
    Alain

<Noel D Paton> wrote in message news:1a4504fc-6ee6-4735-aebb-78867a80224a@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

"Alain Dekker, 2" wrote in message news:e8efb1aa-9741-4a2b-ae1b-cd90cd4de5bd...

Thanks,
    Alain

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itprogeneral/threads

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC <http://www.crashfixpc.co.uk> | The Three-toed Sloth <http://foot.crashfixpc.co.uk>

Wednesday, June 20, 2012 2:08 PM