Quick Genuine Windows 7 Kit Question RRS feed

• Question

• I recently found out my copy of Win7 pro was counterfeit...So im getting this offer to purchase the Get Genuine Online Kit for $149.   Question is, is this like an OEM copy of windows or is it a Retail copy?  On a side note, once I recieve my genuine software should I reinstall windows? Will that delete all my files on my hard drive?
    Monday, August 30, 2010 5:25 PM

Answers

• Hello Rocklobster0,

The answer to your first question is "Yes."  The WGA Kit license is a retail license BUT has supplemental licensing terms that restrict the installation of the license onto the computer for which it was ordered that failed validation.  You are not permitted to move the license to any other computer, but you are entitled to tech support from Microsoft.

IMHO, if the original Windows 7 installation was done with a nongenuine disc or download, the risks of embedded malware are real enough to warrant the hassle of backing up your data and doing a full clean installation from the genuine Microsoft disc when you get it.  However, that is not specifically required and as soon as you purchase and receive your WGA product key from Microsoft you can use the Change Product Key function built into W7 to install the new WGA product key, reactivate, and then go to www.microsoft.com/genuine and pass Validation.

Buy Office 2007 Now, Get Office 2010 Free http://office2010.microsoft.com/en-us/tech-guarantee/microsoft-office-2010-technology-guarantee-FX101825695.aspx?CTT=97
    Tuesday, August 31, 2010 1:16 PM

All replies

• Hello Rocklobster0,

The answer to your first question is "Yes."  The WGA Kit license is a retail license BUT has supplemental licensing terms that restrict the installation of the license onto the computer for which it was ordered that failed validation.  You are not permitted to move the license to any other computer, but you are entitled to tech support from Microsoft.

IMHO, if the original Windows 7 installation was done with a nongenuine disc or download, the risks of embedded malware are real enough to warrant the hassle of backing up your data and doing a full clean installation from the genuine Microsoft disc when you get it.  However, that is not specifically required and as soon as you purchase and receive your WGA product key from Microsoft you can use the Change Product Key function built into W7 to install the new WGA product key, reactivate, and then go to www.microsoft.com/genuine and pass Validation.

Buy Office 2007 Now, Get Office 2010 Free http://office2010.microsoft.com/en-us/tech-guarantee/microsoft-office-2010-technology-guarantee-FX101825695.aspx?CTT=97
    Tuesday, August 31, 2010 1:16 PM
  • Hi Rocklobster0,

Adding to what Dan said, if you choose to do a "custom installation", then it WILL wipe out all the files.

Wednesday, November 3, 2010 8:49 PM