Is it possible to lock/restrict a record in CRM RRS feed

• Question

• I am attempting to restrict users from certain account records in CRM online 2015. Is it possible to restrict one or more Accounts for example to a specified team? I attempted using Access Teams and sharing them but that is still allowing folks with general access to all other accounts the ability to see and access it.

So for example, I have 250 accounts that all staff can see/access.  I want to restrict 1-3 of the accounts to a small team of 4 users to where the other staff not part of that team cannot see or access them.

Any help or direction is appreciated.

Thursday, March 3, 2016 4:28 PM

All replies

• The CRM security model does not lend itself well to allow access to all records except some. There is no "restrict" option in the security model.  I started an article on this topic but hadn't published it because I wanted to add more to it. However, with the warning that the article needs more work, I've published my article here, http://www.fkbase.info/confidentialrecords. It might help you with some ideas.

Sunday, March 13, 2016 11:03 PM
  • Do you need to assign those 250 accounts to the individual users, or can you assign them to teams? If you can get away with the teams, then why don't you create two teams:

-Team 1 (limited users)

all but those 1-3 accounts will be assigned to that team

Related security role will grant access to all accounts owned by the team

-Team 2 (all access)

those additional 1-3 accounts will be assigned to this team

related security role will grant access to all accounts in the business unit

As a result, Team 1 users won't be able to see those special accounts, but they will be able to see all accounts assigned to Team 1.

Team 2 users will be able to see all account

Alex Shlega, TreecatSoftware.Com

Monday, March 14, 2016 3:55 PM
  • Depending on your team's level of technical knowledge, this is possible via the use of C# plugins.

I have built a similar module for a client I am working with that allows them to specify a User and a Client, and then applies a restriction that prevents that User from seeing any information regarding to that Client.

This is particularly effective because it completely removes that Client from all views etc for that User.

The code is registered on Retrieve and RetrieveMultiple of the entities you want to restrict. I will be happy to provide more detail on this if this is something you would like to explore.

Wednesday, March 16, 2016 10:34 PM