Acer Easy Store H342 Copy Dead Slow RRS feed

• Question

• I bought a Acer Easy Store H342 after set it up, i try to transfer about 300 GB of stuff (about 60k of files) from my PC to the Acer Easy Store. It will only run at about 2.9 Mb/s MAX...that is really killing me

my current confriguration

My PC C2D 2.4 3Gb Ram with 1TB WD HDD and 100mbps Lan connecting to
    Aztech Home Plug 200mbps Connecting to
    Another Aztech Home Plug 200mbps
    TP Link Router
    connecting to Acer Home Server.

and how come it can be sooooo slow? i am expecting the rate of around 10mb at least. this speed will kill me.

Thursday, August 5, 2010 7:00 AM

Answers

Don't use powerline networking and you'll probably get better performance. Also, check your router to see what connection speeds it actually supports; most consumer (and low end business) routers support 100BASE-TX (Fast Ethernet) for their wired connections, but there are a few that don't. Finally, see what link speed your server is actually reporting; Windows Home Server is based on Windows Server 2003, which can detect network problems and intentionally trade off performance for connection reliability.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by Rui Di Friday, August 6, 2010 12:45 AM
    Thursday, August 5, 2010 12:35 PM
  • Thanks Ken, I have done some troubleshooting and found out it is indeed the line issue. I tried several combinations, finding that direct line from PC to Router to HomeServer gives me around 9mb/s constantly. However due to design of the house, running the PC to router near the ADSL line is just too messy. Powerline drop the speed to 3mb/s. In the end, i use my Desktop Wifi as ADSL internet connection and use a cross wire to connect directly from my PC to Home Server, giving me around 7mb/s

p/s: i also uses some third party software like Tera Copy, and it actually speeds up the copy alot (like 40%), i remembered there's some setting on window 7 that slows down the speed as well? there's like some option that i can turn it off to speed the copy up.

• Marked as answer by Rui Di Friday, August 6, 2010 12:46 AM
    Friday, August 6, 2010 12:40 AM

All replies

Don't use powerline networking and you'll probably get better performance. Also, check your router to see what connection speeds it actually supports; most consumer (and low end business) routers support 100BASE-TX (Fast Ethernet) for their wired connections, but there are a few that don't. Finally, see what link speed your server is actually reporting; Windows Home Server is based on Windows Server 2003, which can detect network problems and intentionally trade off performance for connection reliability.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by Rui Di Friday, August 6, 2010 12:45 AM
    Thursday, August 5, 2010 12:35 PM
  • Thanks Ken, I have done some troubleshooting and found out it is indeed the line issue. I tried several combinations, finding that direct line from PC to Router to HomeServer gives me around 9mb/s constantly. However due to design of the house, running the PC to router near the ADSL line is just too messy. Powerline drop the speed to 3mb/s. In the end, i use my Desktop Wifi as ADSL internet connection and use a cross wire to connect directly from my PC to Home Server, giving me around 7mb/s

p/s: i also uses some third party software like Tera Copy, and it actually speeds up the copy alot (like 40%), i remembered there's some setting on window 7 that slows down the speed as well? there's like some option that i can turn it off to speed the copy up.

• Marked as answer by Rui Di Friday, August 6, 2010 12:46 AM
    Friday, August 6, 2010 12:40 AM