none
Grammars do not compile - can't build .lex file RRS feed

• Question

• I haven't used grammars before. In order to do the survey-tutorial, I'm supposed to build a grammar. The grammar is extremly simple but no matter how less commands i use in the grammar, the compiling fails. The project itself is empty, meaning i haven't changed anything. I'm just building the grammar.

Here are the errors I receive:

http://homepage.hispeed.ch/XIII/Error.png

What can I do to make my VS compile grammars?

config: windows 2003 server, visual studio 2005 professional sp1

Monday, October 22, 2007 8:19 AM

All replies

• The 1st error is a failure to write to D:\acdprojects\....  Is that location writable by you?

Monday, October 22, 2007 10:46 AM
  • Yes it is. I've already made some other VS05-Projects inside this directory and they worked well.

Monday, October 22, 2007 12:38 PM
  • Is there an existing SurveyTutorial.lex file, perhaps read-only?  Try deleting it, in case it was blocking VS from writing. 

If that doesn't work, try creating a new VoiceResponseWorkflowApplication project, keeping the default option to create a .cal file.  Does this successfully build the .lex from the .cal? 

The error is very specifically a failure to save the .lex file, so it`s most likely a permission issue on that directory / file.

Monday, October 22, 2007 2:24 PM
  • Thanks for your postings, but they haven't resolved my problem yet. I could find some Survey-Projects in my documents-folder. I deleted them all and also deleted the project in the D:\AC...-folder. Then I created a new project with the default .cal-file. Still I get the same 2 errors and 1 warning when compiling a grammar.   Sad

Monday, October 22, 2007 3:37 PM
  • Hi there

I could now solve the grammar problem. I think it was because I installed SASDK. In the 'Known Product Issues' of Speech Server ( http://download.microsoft.com/download/5/2/3/523a4587-f065-47a4-8df9-dd6f429f3497/Release%20Notes.htm ) a Speech Server failure is documented after installing SASDK.

-------------------------------------------------

Here is what is documented:

Speech Server Services
    Problem:  
    Installing Microsoft Speech Application SDK (SASDK) 1.1 on top of Speech Server results in a Speech Server failure. This problem is indicated by an error in the event log such as the following:
    SES was unable to create an instance of the engine Microsoft English (U.S. Telephony) v9.0 Server for the following reason: 'Specified cast is not valid. (System.InvalidCastException)'.
    The reason for this is that the SASDK 1.1 TTS engines are incompatible with Office Communications Server 2007. 

Solution:    
    Resolve this problem by uninstalling SASDK 1.1 and then reinstalling the Server Components of Speech Server. 

---------------------------------------------------

So I had to uninstall SASDK, the Speech Server and then reinstall Speech Server. Now the Speech Server runs as expected.

Friday, October 26, 2007 7:41 AM
  • I've been able to clear this up by compiling the project. It seems like until you compile the project (not the grammar) the lexicon doesn't get created.

After compiling the project the error always goes away and I can compile the grammar.

Wednesday, November 7, 2007 4:46 PM