none
Connector Setup cannot locate WHS on corporate network - need to register MAC address RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am a big fan of WHS at home. Just bought an LX195 to back up computers in my office, but I'm having trouble getting started.

My corporate network has DHCP, but requires that one first register the MAC address of the network adapter. How do I get this info out of the literal black box  that is the LX195?

Thanks,
    David
    Monday, August 3, 2009 8:50 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I am a big fan of WHS at home. Just bought an LX195 to back up computers in my office, but I'm having trouble getting started.

My corporate network has DHCP, but requires that one first register the MAC address of the network adapter. How do I get this info out of the literal black box  that is the LX195?

Thanks,
    David

You'll have to logon to the server desktop (which is unsupported) using Remote Desktop Connection, open a command prompt, and type ipconfig /all.
    Tuesday, August 4, 2009 3:27 AM
  • There is usually a sticker somewhere (on your server) with the MAC address. It will typically be displayed on one of three formats:
    • AA:BB:CC:DD:EE:FF
    • AA-BB-CC-DD-EE-FF
    • AABB:CCDD:EEFF

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, August 4, 2009 9:20 PM
  • After you have attempted to connect, open a DOS Prompt and type arp -a
    This should list all computers, servers, printers and so on.  Start eliminating the IP addresses of your known equipment until you derermine which IP is your WHS. Next to that IP address will be the MAC.  To verify, PING that IP and look at the light on the WHS to flash as it receives and sends ping data.
    Thursday, August 6, 2009 11:11 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks,
    David

You'll have to logon to the server desktop (which is unsupported) using Remote Desktop Connection, open a command prompt, and type ipconfig /all.
    Tuesday, August 4, 2009 3:27 AM
  • David, without a valid address this will be difficult. Maybe you want do this first at home and then register this MAC in your office?

Martin

LightsOut - Power Management for Windows Home Server http://www.home-server-blog.de/add-ins/lightsout/#en
    Tuesday, August 4, 2009 1:24 PM
  • There is usually a sticker somewhere (on your server) with the MAC address. It will typically be displayed on one of three formats:
    • AA:BB:CC:DD:EE:FF
    • AA-BB-CC-DD-EE-FF
    • AABB:CCDD:EEFF

Tuesday, August 4, 2009 9:20 PM
  • Ken, neither my HP MSS nor my Acer easyStore have such a sticker.

Martin
    LightsOut - Power Management for Windows Home Server http://www.home-server-blog.de/add-ins/lightsout/#en
    Wednesday, August 5, 2009 6:08 AM
  • Are you positive? My HP had one, though it has since fallen off... Could it be etched into the case on the Acer? I'm pretty sure it has to be in a visible location, given that there are network configurations that require you to know the MAC address of your equipment.
    Wednesday, August 5, 2009 5:26 PM
  • Double checked today - no MAC address on any sticker.

Martin
    Thursday, August 6, 2009 8:23 AM
  • After you have attempted to connect, open a DOS Prompt and type arp -a
    This should list all computers, servers, printers and so on.  Start eliminating the IP addresses of your known equipment until you derermine which IP is your WHS. Next to that IP address will be the MAC.  To verify, PING that IP and look at the light on the WHS to flash as it receives and sends ping data.
    Thursday, August 6, 2009 11:11 PM