Auto-upgrade not very informative RRS feed

• General discussion

• Posted a bug about the upgrade.

It upgraded itself and killed the services - thus closing the app - but gave no indication as to what it was doing and why. I thought it had just died so tried to restart and was greeted with an error about the service being stopped and trying to restart the service caused it to complain about dependencies.

After a reboot it dutifully when in to the process of taking steps to add the PC to my circle but it should have given warning/explanation before/during/after the upgrade process.

Wednesday, July 11, 2007 9:48 PM

All replies

• The reason why OneCare upgraded itself is probably because you downloaded a OneCare 1.6 that was supposed to update to 2.0 when 2.0 was released (like I did).
    Wednesday, July 11, 2007 10:07 PM
  • Yes, and I was waiting for it to happen, but my point is that it gave no indication that it had done it or that any action needed to be taken in order for it to function. I just had the security center and WHS tray icon complaining about lack of anti-malware software.
    Wednesday, July 11, 2007 11:12 PM
  • I had a dialog on screen that said OneCare was going to reboot in x hours (5 1/2,  think) and the Security Center was indeed warning me that everything was off. I was not there when it updated. I suspect that your complaint is that OneCare began the update without any warning, shut down services and proceeded to update itself, then threw the reboot counter up. You want to be prompted about updating the major version that will require a reboot and I absolutely agree.

-steve

Thursday, July 12, 2007 12:45 AM
  • Steve,
    Like many, I didn't have and problems with LiveCare before the "upgrade."  Is it possible to restore to a period before the "upgrade," then wait and see if MSFT can get their ducks in order before upgrading again?
    George
    Wednesday, January 16, 2008 2:05 PM
  •  George McAdams wrote:
    Steve,
    Like many, I didn't have and problems with LiveCare before the "upgrade."  Is it possible to restore to a period before the "upgrade," then wait and see if MSFT can get their ducks in order before upgrading again?
    George

George, there is no previous version to go back to. OneCare is a subscription service and to provide the latest protection it upgrades to the latest version available. New installs and reinstalls will always be the latest available version.

What problems have you encountered? Have you reviewed the FAQ posts regarding services that need to be present for OneCare to start, the firewall repair tool, antivirus repair tool, and the thread about winss high CPU?

-steve

Wednesday, January 16, 2008 4:03 PM