Forms Based Authentication vs Windows Based Authentication RRS feed

• Question

• Our outsourced IT management consulting company recently requested a change in our CRM configuration from a Windows Based Authentication to the Froms Based Authentication, specifically to accomodate our remote users who have recently had their remote login process changed by the IT management people.  They (IT people) claim that our remote users are unable to access the CRM via the Outlook Connector.  I am skeptical and obviously not familiar with the subtle differences between these two configurations.

Until they changed the remote login process, we have not had the problem they are stating and my concern is how this configuration change will impact our in-house CRM users.  We run the CRM 4.0 with add-ons integrated with Outlook (DocumentCorePack).  Hope this is not too vague and I can provide more info if needed.  The IT management company does not have control of our CRM server.

Any assistance is much appreciated.

gb
    Tuesday, August 16, 2011 11:57 PM

Answers

All replies

• Have a look at IFD (Internet facing deployment). It will still ask for domain credentials.

I hope this helps.

Amreek singh Senior CRM Consultant CDC Praxa Sydney,Australia http://mscrmshop.blogspot.com/
    • Proposed as answer by Amreek Singh Wednesday, August 17, 2011 1:04 AM
    Wednesday, August 17, 2011 1:04 AM
  • Do your outlook users need to connect without necessarily VPNing into. If yes, your IT deptt might be switching to the IFD mode. It basically keeps both Forms and Windows auth. Forms for external users (outside your domain) and Windows for internal users.

Users logging externally will get a logon page where they specify Forms credentials and get into. If external users logon via outlook client, settings can be done in Outlook configuration to first check

1. If domain server is available (when they open outlook from your office), then use windows

2. If not, then automatically login using forms credentials, set in the config

If you are facing  a specific problem, please post its error in another thread and explain the config of your setup.

Manny Grewal || Australia
    Wednesday, August 17, 2011 11:35 AM
  • Good info.

Manny, for my clarification, all users (in-house and remote) will be in the same domain.  Some remote users do connect to Outllook and have a RDP session open at the same time; however. generally the remote users currently login (RDP session) to a desktop PC (assigned to them) and have connectivity to all OutLook and CRM functionality.  The IT people want to eliminate the in-house desktop PC for these remote users and have them login directly to the CRM using Forms Based Authentication.  Again, as long as our in-house and remote users have the same OutLook and CRM functionality that they current have using Windows Based Authentication, then it seems the re-configuration to Forms Based Authentication would not be problematic.

Hope I'm understanding this scenario correctly.

thanks..

gb
    Wednesday, August 17, 2011 7:50 PM
  • Hi Brown,

You are correct. You can have the same CRM functionality using Forms Auth, even if users desktop PC are removed. Because they will connect to same CRM server, just a different authentication mechanism. This link says that DocumentCorePack too supports IFD, so your addons should work fine too

http://blogs.mscrm-addons.com/post/2010/11/18/Documents-Core-Pack-IFD-configuration.aspx

Manny Grewal || Australia
    • Proposed as answer by Manny Grewal Wednesday, August 17, 2011 11:24 PM
    • Marked as answer by BrownGR Thursday, August 18, 2011 12:31 AM
    Wednesday, August 17, 2011 11:23 PM
  • Excellent! Thank you.
    gb
    Thursday, August 18, 2011 12:31 AM