How can I get rid of a virus/malware that OneCare cannot detect? RRS feed

• Question

• We bought OneCare Live because of last year's AntiVirus 2009 infection. We have been very happy so far that OneCare blocked that (although OC did not seem to have removed it). I check the status of OneCare everyday, and I always have my eye on it to make sure nothing changes for the worse.

Everything was OK until 03/20/09 when I visited www.urbandictionary.com to look up a slang term that I heard on a TV show. A few seconds after I reached the site, the IE window started acting up.

Soon additonal IE windows were opening showing websites I have never seen before, including some from China and one that asked me if I wanted to chat with "Bored Married Women". We did not buy this computer to deal with that kind stuff. 

The next major symptom is that the OneCare window popped up in RED status and said that my Windows Automatic Update was disabled. Well, I have turned it back on at least thirty times over the past few hours. This virus apparently disables the Automatic Update every few minutes. It also overloads the IE window with up to twenty blank internet tabs, and then it all locks up.

After rebooting, I ran a quick scan, and then a full-scan, on my computer last night, but OneCare found no unwanted software or anything. Apparently the hackers have found a new way to hide it from OneCare.

Today I called the OneCare Support Center, and they walked me through everything I had already done, turning the Auto Update back on (although it turned back off while I was on the phone with them) and they had me run the scan in Safe Mode. It found nothing also. I am unhappy because even after I described all of the problems to the Support Person, she said "It's not a virus." Well, it is something that is seriously screwing up my computer, and we have been paying OneCare to prevent that.

I check the OneCare window everyday to make sure that the virus and spyware definitions are up to date (which it always says that they are) and I have tried to install SP3 numerous times, but it won't finish because it wants me to install a disc that I don't have. So we are working with Windows XP SP2. I wold love to install SP3, but you will have to show me how to do that with out the disc.

Right now I just want to get this new virus off of my computer. (Is it an updated version of Antivirus 2009? It kind of acts the same.) I need to pay my bills online on Monday, 3/23/2009, and I need this computer to be virus-free and spyware-free by then so I can do it safely. So now what am I supposed to do? OneCare keeps saying that it detects no potentially harmful or unwanted software on my computer. But whatever is messing up the IE windows and repeatedly disabling the automatic updater is definitely unwanted!

Thanks very much for your help.

Sunday, March 22, 2009 2:11 AM

Answers

• Based on the symptoms you describe I agree that you most likely have undetected malware on your computer. It is also likely you will be able to install SP3 once the malware is removed. I suggest contacting support again and hopefully you will connect with a tech who will address the issue and not the symptoms. If the support tech cannot resolve the issue satisfactorily ask to have your case escalated.
    Jim
    Sunday, March 22, 2009 3:29 AM