What Hardware to Use? RRS feed

• General discussion

• I have been a longtime supporter of the HP MSS and have convinced multiple people to purchase one.  I ended up building my own WHS, but with the current deals for the EX470, I am very tempted to buy one, but I have a couple of issues and I can't decide what to do.

My Current Setup:
    Fanless Industrial PC
    Intel Core Duo L2400
    1GB of RAM
    250GB 2.5" HDD
    Audio Out (connected to whole home sound system)
    VGA Out (connected to a 17" LCD touch panel)
    Duel GbE
    26W at Idle

I love the fact that it is silent and draws almost no power.  The problem is that I only have a single slot for a 2.5" drive. It does have a PCIe x1 port and I have looked into buying an external closure, but those run in the $200s and and the deals on the EX470 are awesome right now.

Is it worth it to buy the EX470?
    Will the step down to a single core AMD hurt my WHS experience?
    Exactly how loud is this the EX470?
    Has anyone had any luck with USB sound cards?

Thanks in advance...
    Monday, November 24, 2008 8:38 PM

All replies

• I don't use the EX470 myself, but I'm like you.. I will recommend it to friends and family.

For what WHS does, I doubt you'd see a performance decrease.
    I could be wrong, but I thought WHS disables the audio. I don't know if this applies to a USB sound card or not.
    Monday, November 24, 2008 9:42 PM
  • The HP MediaSmart Server has 512 MB of RAM, which is sufficient for Windows Home Server itself but very tight for the additional applications/add-ins HP has included. The slower processor will have some effect on the performance of the server, but not as much as the memory.

As for sound, WHS is a server. It's not designed for use as a desktop operating system (and remember that even Windows/Vista Media Center's "10' interface" is a desktop), so I'm not clear why you feel you need a functional sound card. That said, while the HP unit doesn't have a built in sound card, should you install one in your server (motherboard sound, add-on card) and manage to get the drivers to install on Windows Server 2003, it is possible to get sound working. You won't generally be able to hear sound in a Remote Desktop session, however.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, November 24, 2008 10:32 PM
  • Thanks for the response.

Yeah, I realize that this is not an HTPC, but my server is in the same room where I have the receiver for the whole home sound system and I don't want a dedicated system just to play music a couple times a week.  I have been running this type of setup for a while.  I have it set up so that I can select and play music in the server room, from Remote Desktop (console), or through my laptop or phone, using VLC.

Thanks

Tuesday, November 25, 2008 9:28 PM