Removing Partitions RRS feed

• Question

• Just added a 500 GB notebook drive to my desktop Win 10 system using a usb enclosure. Drive is seen and I can access two of the partitions but want to remove all "6" partitions. It appears that the OEM drive has 5 different recovery partitions, per disk management,  but will only allow me to change anything with the one primary partition. The only option provided via right click on the 5 is "help". How do I remove all partitions so that it is a single drive? I did delete the one volume, recreated and formatted. Thanks in advance for any assistance offered.
    • Moved by Just Karl Friday, May 25, 2018 8:22 PM Looking for the correct forum
    Monday, April 9, 2018 9:04 PM

Answers

• Hi ExiledEvil,

If there is nothing on the drive you want, you should just be able to reformat and repartition the whole thing the way you want.  Arguably, if you are not going to use this as a removable drive, you'd be better off mounting it as a Sata inside the Desktop PC rather than USB. 

You hardware manufacturer, like Segate for example, offer tools that will work for their drives that might help you do more precise changes so I would look on your drive manufacturers site for support as well.

Sincerely,

IoTGirl

• Proposed as answer by Just Karl Friday, May 25, 2018 8:22 PM
    • Marked as answer by Dave PatrickMVP Tuesday, May 29, 2018 11:13 PM
    Monday, April 9, 2018 10:27 PM
  • Not a Perf. tools question, please consider the Answers forums.

The only option provided via right click on the 5 is "help"

This is safeguard in the  GUI for 'clever' users.

Try the diskpart command line utility instead and run it as administrator.

-- pa

Tuesday, April 10, 2018 3:00 AM
  • You can ask in one of these forums:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?forum=win10itprohardware

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware

Richard Mueller - MVP Enterprise Mobility (Identity and Access)

Friday, May 25, 2018 9:40 PM

All replies

• Hi ExiledEvil,

If there is nothing on the drive you want, you should just be able to reformat and repartition the whole thing the way you want.  Arguably, if you are not going to use this as a removable drive, you'd be better off mounting it as a Sata inside the Desktop PC rather than USB. 

You hardware manufacturer, like Segate for example, offer tools that will work for their drives that might help you do more precise changes so I would look on your drive manufacturers site for support as well.

Sincerely,

IoTGirl

Monday, April 9, 2018 10:27 PM
  • Not a Perf. tools question, please consider the Answers forums.

The only option provided via right click on the 5 is "help"

This is safeguard in the  GUI for 'clever' users.

Try the diskpart command line utility instead and run it as administrator.

-- pa

Tuesday, April 10, 2018 3:00 AM
  • Hello,

The Windows Desktop Perfmon and Diagnostic tools forum is to discuss performance monitor (perfmon), resource monitor (resmon), and task manager, focusing on HOW-TO, Errors/Problems, and usage scenarios.

As the question is off topic here, I am moving it to the Where is the Forum... forum.

Karl

Friday, May 25, 2018 8:22 PM
  • You can ask in one of these forums:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?forum=win10itprohardware

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware

Richard Mueller - MVP Enterprise Mobility (Identity and Access)

Friday, May 25, 2018 9:40 PM