Full backup of the WHS data files and folders... RRS feed

• Question

• I have a simple question but can’t find an answer on any forum.

When manually backing up my WHS server itself (not the attached computers) through the WHS console how do I force a full backup? I am getting incremental WHS backups of the folders and I want full backups. I have a drive that I used for a WHS folder backup that no longer exists, WHS does not know that the drive does not exist, so my latest WHS backups only include new and changed files beyond the non-existent old backup drive. This is a big and serious problem.  If my house burns down I have nothing!  All of my family pictures and family video would be gone!!!

The only solution I have found around this is to plug my backup drive into a client PC, open the WHS folders and drag the files to the backup drive.  This method draggs all of my backups through my network wires from the WHS folders to the client PC which is really stupid. 

Yes, I have file duplication on, but that does not protect me from a sever fire or a lightning strike.

There must be something really simple that I am missing.  After all, I have never seen backup software without a check box for full or incremental backup.  Just ell me where the check box is and I will be very happy. 

Backup steps as a reference point: from the WHS console click "Computers & Backup" tab, then highlight "SERVER1" (name of WHS server), right click on the "SERVER1" line and select "Backup Now", select folders to back up, backup starts, backup completes, message states "x number of new or changed files backed up" (less than the count for a full backup). I want all files in my folders backed up to this drive.  I can't find that "Full Backup" check box.

Yes, the backup drive is big enough to handle my backups.

I wish to thank whoever helps me in advance of the help!

Thursday, December 23, 2010 4:28 AM

Answers

• There is no check box. None is needed.

If you connect your backup drive to another computer (where you can browse the files on the drive), you should see that every backup appears to be a full backup. Windows Home Server achieves this on the server backup drive by using links from the current backup to the most recent version on that drive of the backed up file. This means that your backup disk contains, for every backup, a slice of your server as of the time that backup was completed.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by Brad Hansen Saturday, December 25, 2010 4:27 PM
    Thursday, December 23, 2010 4:34 AM

All replies

• There is no check box. None is needed.

If you connect your backup drive to another computer (where you can browse the files on the drive), you should see that every backup appears to be a full backup. Windows Home Server achieves this on the server backup drive by using links from the current backup to the most recent version on that drive of the backed up file. This means that your backup disk contains, for every backup, a slice of your server as of the time that backup was completed.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by Brad Hansen Saturday, December 25, 2010 4:27 PM
    Thursday, December 23, 2010 4:34 AM
  • Ken,

We are very lucky to have you involved in this forum.  You helped me out with my first installation of WHS and I thank you.

So for a given backup drive susequent backups are incremental?  I have noticed that it appears that all of my files are on the backup drive even though the concluding backup screen gives me the message that my backup was incremental.

Next backup problem...when I do large backups I often end up with lost clusters on my backup drive and one of my primary WHS storage drives.  Then I have to restart my server and let it run CHKDSK and repair the lost clusters.  This has always been a poblem since day one of WHS for me.  Large means 1.3TB of home video files where most of the files are about 1GB each.  I have tried changing controllers and have tried paired controllers where my primary storage is on one controller and my backup drives are on another controller to no avail.  I just recently bought a different brand and specification backup drive to see if that solves the problem.  I will know tomorrow morning.  All of the above drives are retail consumer quality 2TB SATA.

Friday, December 24, 2010 4:06 AM