none
sending video frames over Ethernet RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, 

I am an embedded programmer. I am working on a system which captures h.264 compressed video data from a hardware and save it in an avi file container. The driver of the hardware does not supports directshow. Therefore I had to stick on manufacturer's APIs and callback functions. I receive each frame and write it in an avi File. Till now everything is  working fine.

Now I need to send these captured frames over Ethernet to another PC, where we want to see the captured video frames on VLC player, in order to make sure everything is working fine. Please tell me how can I stream these video frames over ethernet. Till now, i have explored that I need to convert each video frame into rtsp stream and then send it to ethernet. But I dont have any such live streaming background. Can you recomend any c++ program that can help me to send the data over ethernet so that we can stream it on VLC player on other computer (using live frame from compression card). I have windows 7 at both ends.

regard 

Aamir 

Wednesday, October 2, 2019 4:55 PM

All replies

• Must you send each frame separately? You say you have an AVI file, why can't you simply send that file? If you can then there are plenty of samples of sending files.

Sam Hobbs
    SimpleSamples.Info

Wednesday, October 2, 2019 5:09 PM
  • Dear Sam

You are rite, this is the valid option. But we are required to send the frame, as we receive so that a person sitting remotely can watch the video instantly. Recording the frame is the another requirement which we are fulfilling fine. 

I mean i have to send frames in real time (I know there be some delay. I hope you got my point. Any solution is more than just welcome

Thanks

regards 

Aamir Akbar

Thursday, October 3, 2019 2:41 AM
  • Then you need to use the correct terminology. In VLC go to the Media menu. There is a menu item Open Network Strem...

I cannot go any further than that at the moment because VLC just now upgraded the version and now VLC in my system crashes when I go to that menu item. However assuming you can go to it, tell us what in that menu you are supposed to use to view the video. In other words, use the same terminology. That will really help others help you.

Sam Hobbs
    SimpleSamples.Info

Thursday, October 3, 2019 4:17 AM
  • Hi,

This forum discuss and ask questions about the Visual C++ IDE, libraries, samples, tools, setup, and Windows programming using MFC and ATL. According to your issue , I suggest you should ask it in The VideoLAN Forums. And this thread will be moved to Off-Topic Posts.

Best Regards,

Jeanine Zhang

Thursday, October 3, 2019 6:01 AM
  • The question might be about one of those things you listed; we do not know. VLC generally uses standard protocols, not a protocol unique to VLC. I think this thread was moved without understanding it. We should wait and get clarification from Ali1033 before deciding how relevant it is.

Sam Hobbs
    SimpleSamples.Info

Thursday, October 3, 2019 8:53 AM
  • Dear Sam & Jeanine 

Yes, you are rite I can do this using VLC, and I did that successfully. But the problem is that I want a solution in c++, so that I can write my own application. I am grabbing and recording frames using c++, thus I want the streaming section in c++ also. 

I want a solution using windows APIs or any other. I don't know whether VLC also uses any method that I can call in my code, and place my video frame data to be transmitted.

My question is absolutely related to the Visual c++, and want a solution within its boundaries.

regards 

Aamir Akbar

Thursday, October 3, 2019 2:19 PM
  • Apologies for my late reply as I am unable to use this forum on my android phone, I can instantly read your reply, but somehow I can't write the answer, thus I need to wait and go to my laptop to type reply.. Might be my phone problem.
    Thursday, October 3, 2019 2:22 PM