Can SyncToy Automatically Compare Folders, etc? RRS feed

• Question

• Greetings - I would like to sync certain folders between my USB flash drive and HD, so that when the flash drive is inserted, the contents of those folders would automatically sync to those folders on the HD.  I use the flash drive more often, and have come to think of my HD as more of a backup to the flash than the other way around.  I am running XP, and the flash drive is a PNY Attach'e 16GB.

I realize this question might be 101 as compared to other issues brought up here, but appreciate any help you can provide.

Thanks,
    Matt
    Sunday, May 17, 2009 6:55 AM

All replies

• Hi,

If I catch your meaning, do you want to sync data from flash to HD automatically as soon as you insert the flash into the desktop? If so, I'm sorry to tell you that SyncToy does not support this kind of feature. As SyncToy will hold not only one folder pair, you cannot decide which folder pair is wanted to be synced.

Thanks,
    Danish

Wednesday, March 24, 2010 8:50 AM
  • well.. just reading over.. this could get complicated.. but if you had a flash drive, you could put a batch script to "autorun" - and put the sync toy to run - but you would have had to setup the folder pair ahead of time.. havent tried this.. but just a thought.

Wednesday, March 24, 2010 9:00 PM
  • well.. just reading over.. this could get complicated.. but if you had a flash drive, you could put a batch script to "autorun" - and put the sync toy to run - but you would have had to setup the folder pair ahead of time.. havent tried this.. but just a thought.

As I know, SyncToy can manage a folder pairs list that is relative to not only one scenario. For excamply, a sync instance between your laptop to your desktop, a sync instance between your laptop to your wife's, a sync instance between your home desktop to your office's, a sync instance between your desktop to your flash etc. In this situation, how do you decide which folder pair you want to sync?
    Thursday, March 25, 2010 3:36 AM