Steps required to upgrade a self-signed wildcard certificate to a purchased wildcard certificate RRS feed

• Question

• I'm up and running on an IFD deployment using a self-signed wildcard certificate.  Will I need to repeat all of the IFD configuration steps when I purchase and deploy a new wildcard certificate from a certificate authority?  Are there any shortcuts?
    Monday, February 28, 2011 3:43 PM

Answers

All replies

• I am not sure this is possible.  I think you need to buy your certificate from some trusted certificate authority.

You can use a self-signed certificate, but your clients will get errors telling them that it is not signed  by a trusted CA (certification authority).  This indicates to security minded people that they could be walking into a man in the middle attack.

Now you could send all of your clients your CA you used to sign the certs and they could add it to their trusted CA cert store in their OS to allow them to Trust your certificate and then they would check it's fingerprint.

It's best to purchase a trusted CA signed cert from a company like Verisign though because it helps prevent man-in-the-middle attacks.

Jamie Miley
    • Proposed as answer by Edwin2win Tuesday, March 1, 2011 12:27 PM
    Monday, February 28, 2011 7:27 PM
  • Did this adequately answer your question?
    Jamie Miley
    http://mileyja.blogspot.com
    Linked-In Profile
    Follow Me on Twitter!
    • Marked as answer by xRM2011 Friday, June 3, 2011 9:34 PM
    Thursday, May 26, 2011 12:31 AM