Unable to install: Windows Live OneCare for Server Trial RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hello,

So I recently noticed that Microsoft was offering a free trial for Windows Live OneCare for Server, but when I attempted to install it from this page http://onecare.live.com/standard/en-Us/server/install_server.htm, I was unable to do so and received an error stating "unsuported operating system".

It would appear that the trial link on that page goes to the desktop/workstation trial and not the one for Windows Live OneCare for server.

Has anyone been able to install this for server or have a good URL for the installer?

FYI: I'm trying to install this on Window Server 2008.

Thanks,

Jim

Tuesday, July 22, 2008 11:32 PM

Answers

• Hi Jim,

See the link below the list of supported operating systems for OneCare for Server.  Please check if you're running Windows Server 2008 Standard 64-bit.  Please write back if you're on a supported operating system and the install is still failing.

http://onecare.live.com/standard/en-Us/server/sysreq.htm

Thanks,

Sachin Agrawal

Program Manager, Windows Live OneCare

Wednesday, July 23, 2008 9:31 PM

All replies

• I'm going to contact the OneCare team about that page.

OneCare for server is apparently not available yet for download, so the page was put up with the link to the client installer that is currently in production.

It is my understanding that OneCare for Server and OneCare for the PC are one and the same when installed in this manner, but that when installed with the next version of SBS, including OneCare, you get a different management interface and licensing. However, I don't know any of that for fact, as I haven't actually seen OneCare for Server yet.

-steve

Wednesday, July 23, 2008 1:32 PM
  • Thanks Steve.

I opened a support ticket with Microsoft as well, but haven't heard back from them yet.  I'll update the thread when I do.

Jim

Wednesday, July 23, 2008 7:57 PM
  • Hi Jim,

See the link below the list of supported operating systems for OneCare for Server.  Please check if you're running Windows Server 2008 Standard 64-bit.  Please write back if you're on a supported operating system and the install is still failing.

http://onecare.live.com/standard/en-Us/server/sysreq.htm

Thanks,

Sachin Agrawal

Program Manager, Windows Live OneCare

Wednesday, July 23, 2008 9:31 PM
  •  

Sachin,

Thanks for that link!  Checking start -> run-> winver, I'm currently running Windows Server 2008 Enterprise 64bit, and I see that link says that standard only is supported.  I wasn't sure about the server naming nomenclatures for the 2008 server prodcut line, but if it is like Server 2003, standard and enterprise are different builds.

So assuming Windows OneCare is not going to be supporting Server 2008 Ent 64bit, does anyone know of a anti-virus solution that is? 

Based on this doc http://download.microsoft.com/download/b/1/0/b106fc39-936c-4857-a6ea-3fb9d1f37063/Windows%20Server%202008%20Active%20Directory%20Certificate%20Services%20Step-By-Step%20Guide.doc and seeing such slight differences between the standard and enterprise server editions,  I had assumed(wrongly perhaps) that OneCare would work. 

It would be nice for the installer to have a more verbose error message indicating the issue.

Thanks for the swift replies Smile

Jim

Wednesday, July 23, 2008 11:16 PM
  • I would suspect that Enterprise Server would be supported by Forefront Security, which is the enterprise protection solution from Microsoft, using the same detection signatures as OneCare.

-steve

Thursday, July 24, 2008 1:05 AM
  •  

I'll look into Forefront, thanks Steve.

Jim

Thursday, July 24, 2008 8:01 PM