Strategy for Managing Pictures with WHS 2011 RRS feed

• Question

• For years I have used Adobe Elements on one Windows PC.  For a variety of reasons, I would like to migrate to Windows Photo Gallery.  

Any suggestions on how to manage pictures using Windows 7 and Windows Live and WHS 2011, with multiple Client PC/Laptops??

Should each client keep pictures on their own PC/Laptop and no Sharing and use WHS 2011 for backup?

Should I keep pictures on each Client PC/Laptop and share via WorkGroup and use WHS 2011 for backup? 

Should I move pictures to file server and have all Clients share one folder on file server?

Should I load pictures on Windows Live Photo Gallery, not even sure what that is or how this overlaps with WHS 2011?

Look for suggestions from others that use Windows Live Photo Gallery and WHS

Saturday, January 21, 2012 11:39 PM

Answers

• Windows Live Photo Gallery (WLPG) is a Windows 7 application for viewing/organising/editing photos. As such, it should only be used on your client PCs. It should NOT be installed on your WHS 2011 (in fact, it may not even install, but throw an error).

While you can just use Windows Explorer on your PCs and laptops to view your photos, WLPG gives you more flexibility and additional functionality, such as editing of your photos, or adding metadata to them.

In my setup, all PCs have WLPG installed, and they can access the central WHS 2011 Pictures library. I personally prefer to use my main PC as my Digital Image workstation. Meaning that I do all the work of selecting which photos I want to keep from a shoot, tweaking the images, and adding metadata to them on this PC. The results are then synchronised on a regular basis to the WHS 2011 Pictures shared folder, for access by all the PCs. I use AllwaySync for the synchonising, but SyncToy or a similar application can do this just as well.

Because WLPG stores things like descriptive tags as metadata in the photo files, it means that once I've assigned tags to images on my main PC, and they've been synced to the WHS 2011 server, all the other PCs will read in the tags into their WLPG database, so that tags are kept in sync automatically.

I should just point out that, if you are a keen photographer, and your camera Makernotes are important to you, then be aware that WLPG will corrupt Makernotes. Google's Picasa (the rival to WLPG) is not much better - it will strip out Makernotes entirely from any image it touches. This blog post contains a comparison between WLPG and Picasa.

Because of this Makernotes issue, I don't use WLPG or Picasa to do any editing or metadata work, but they are easy to use for browsing our photo collection.

• Marked as answer by brunjest Wednesday, January 25, 2012 4:23 AM
    Monday, January 23, 2012 2:33 PM
  • The camera I have takes both pictures and videos.  Is there an easy way to automatically load videos under "My Videos" and pictures under "My Pictures"??

All the uploads go to either My Pictures or My Videos or whatever depending on what I picked.  Doesn't appear to be an option.

Todd, it depends on what program you are using to import the pictures and videos. You are using Windows 7. This has an import function for photos and videos built-in. It also has the ability to change the destination directories for the imported media in the import settings, and these can be different for photos and videos. Try that and see if it does what you want.
    • Marked as answer by brunjest Sunday, May 6, 2012 2:01 AM
    Wednesday, January 25, 2012 2:15 PM

All replies

• I have moved all my pictures and music onto the homeserver and setup a Homegroup to share them between all my clients (all Windows 7).

That way they are always accessible by all the clients that join the Homegroup.

Monday, January 23, 2012 1:26 PM
  • Windows Live Photo Gallery (WLPG) is a Windows 7 application for viewing/organising/editing photos. As such, it should only be used on your client PCs. It should NOT be installed on your WHS 2011 (in fact, it may not even install, but throw an error).

While you can just use Windows Explorer on your PCs and laptops to view your photos, WLPG gives you more flexibility and additional functionality, such as editing of your photos, or adding metadata to them.

In my setup, all PCs have WLPG installed, and they can access the central WHS 2011 Pictures library. I personally prefer to use my main PC as my Digital Image workstation. Meaning that I do all the work of selecting which photos I want to keep from a shoot, tweaking the images, and adding metadata to them on this PC. The results are then synchronised on a regular basis to the WHS 2011 Pictures shared folder, for access by all the PCs. I use AllwaySync for the synchonising, but SyncToy or a similar application can do this just as well.

Because WLPG stores things like descriptive tags as metadata in the photo files, it means that once I've assigned tags to images on my main PC, and they've been synced to the WHS 2011 server, all the other PCs will read in the tags into their WLPG database, so that tags are kept in sync automatically.

I should just point out that, if you are a keen photographer, and your camera Makernotes are important to you, then be aware that WLPG will corrupt Makernotes. Google's Picasa (the rival to WLPG) is not much better - it will strip out Makernotes entirely from any image it touches. This blog post contains a comparison between WLPG and Picasa.

Because of this Makernotes issue, I don't use WLPG or Picasa to do any editing or metadata work, but they are easy to use for browsing our photo collection.

• Marked as answer by brunjest Wednesday, January 25, 2012 4:23 AM
    Monday, January 23, 2012 2:33 PM
  • Thank You!!  This was the info I was looking for.  I will try a couple tests and see how it goes before I copy over the entire library.

The camera I have takes both pictures and videos.  Is there an easy way to automatically load videos under "My Videos" and pictures under "My Pictures"??

All the uploads go to either My Pictures or My Videos or whatever depending on what I picked.  Doesn't appear to be an option.

Todd
    Wednesday, January 25, 2012 5:06 AM
  • The camera I have takes both pictures and videos.  Is there an easy way to automatically load videos under "My Videos" and pictures under "My Pictures"??

Todd, it depends on what program you are using to import the pictures and videos. You are using Windows 7. This has an import function for photos and videos built-in. It also has the ability to change the destination directories for the imported media in the import settings, and these can be different for photos and videos. Try that and see if it does what you want.
    • Marked as answer by brunjest Sunday, May 6, 2012 2:01 AM
    Wednesday, January 25, 2012 2:15 PM
  • Excellent!

this works.   makes it a little easier. I don't see any extra benefit from Windows Live Photo import either so just sticking with Windows 7 import and pointing photos to My Photos and videos to My Videos.   

Todd

Sunday, May 6, 2012 2:03 AM