Can anyone help to idenitify this set of XP PRO CD? RRS feed

• Question

• Dear all,

I have bought  a set of windows XP Pro package a month ago and have checked to make sure it is not a OEM or academic version, however, this copy it did not come with any COA or retail box. In the first start, this copy works have pass the activation and geniue test smoothly in the eariler installation. However, when I attempt to reactivate it after the replacement of the mainboard ..., the screens showed that ... the activation have exceeded the number of time and failed to activate internet.

Can anyone tell if I am cheated? The photos are as follow:

http://hk.f1.page.auctions.yahoo.com/hk/auction/1113869630?r=1147887714

Regards

KL 

Tuesday, July 31, 2007 12:21 PM

Answers

•  Kenneth M2 wrote:

Dear all,

I have bought  a set of windows XP Pro package a month ago and have checked to make sure it is not a OEM or academic version, however, this copy it did not come with any COA or retail box. In the first start, this copy works have pass the activation and geniue test smoothly in the eariler installation. However, when I attempt to reactivate it after the replacement of the mainboard ..., the screens showed that ... the activation have exceeded the number of time and failed to activate internet.

Regards

KL 

For your information,

I can activate the winsdows via telephone, but still unable to activate via internet. No problem on the network, at least I can access this site.

Tuesday, July 31, 2007 12:29 PM
  • Kenneth M2,

Please follow these steps for assistance:

Step 1 is to run the utility at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012, then click the Windows tab, click the "Copy" button, then paste the report into a response in this thread.

Step 2 is to look on the computer or with the materials you received with the computer or with your retail purchase of  Windows to see if you have a Certificate of Authenticity (COA).  If you have one, tell us about the COA.  Tell us:

1.  What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or Media Center, or another version of Windows?

2.  Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?

3.  Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?

4.  DO NOT post the Product Key.

Not sure what to look for?  See this page for reference:  http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/coa.mspx

Since you are an individual user/consumer, and your copy of XP did not come with a Certificate of Authenticity, then how would you expect it to be Authentic?
    Tuesday, July 31, 2007 12:33 PM
  • Thanks,

Here are the extract of the result with some info deleted. If the info is correct, why I cannot activate via the internet?

Diagnostic Report (1.7.0039.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Genuine
    Detailed Status: N/A
    Cached / Grace status: N/A, N/A
    Windows Product Key: deleted

Windows Product Key Hash: deleted

Windows Product ID: deleted

Windows Product ID Type: 5
    CSVLK Server: N/A
    CSVLK PID: N/A
    Windows License Type: Retail
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro
    ID: {4B56858B-7E55-484D-A326-5DD008C775DC}(3)
    Is Admin: Yes
    Commit / Reboot / BRT: N/A, N/A, N/A
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.7.36.0
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic: 025D1FF3-171-1
    Resolution Status: N/A

Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A
    File Exists: No
    Version: N/A
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: deleted
    OGA Version: Registered, 1.6.21.0
    Office Diagnostics: 025D1FF3-171-1

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

deleted

Tuesday, July 31, 2007 4:02 PM
  •  Dan at IT Associates wrote:

Kenneth M2,

Step 1 is to run the utility at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012, then click the Windows tab, click the "Copy" button, then paste the report into a response in this thread.

Step 2 is to look on the computer or with the materials you received with the computer or with your retail purchase of  Windows to see if you have a Certificate of Authenticity (COA).  If you have one, tell us about the COA.  Tell us:

1.  What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or Media Center, or another version of Windows?

Not sure what to look for?  See this page for reference:  http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/coa.mspx

Since you are an individual user/consumer, and your copy of XP did not come with a Certificate of Authenticity, then how would you expect it to be Authentic?

Since I have purchase the item via the net with no chance to inspect it beforehand, what I have to rely on is the info about the MS homepage anti-priacy features of the XP package. Of course, no one will post their COA or license label on the net for the thiefs. By matching those major features on the CD and the info during the installation, I am quite sure that is geniue non oem xp pro.

However, I have no idea on the problem of internet activation. Despite the MS staff give me the code for the activation everytime, I am so annoyed by phone them again and again.

Tuesday, July 31, 2007 4:19 PM
  • Kenneth M2,

While the materials you purchased may or may not be genuine, the fact remains that without the Certificate of Authenticity, you have NOT purchased a valid License for XP.

Tuesday, July 31, 2007 6:31 PM
  •  

Kenneth,

Dan is spot on. As a customer there are options available to you for a resolution. For details on the ways to “Get Genuine”, see the web page that outlined your validation failure details or http://www.microsoft.com/genuine .  It will provide all of the possible steps which you can take.

Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) is here to help protect YOU, our valued customer. It is important for more people like you to report a piracy case who have become a victim to assist in stopping unscrupulous business practices.  You may be eligible for free software if you have high quality counterfeit discs. We CANNOT determine the "Quality" level of non-Genuine submissions and cannot guarantee such a thing here on the forum. We have a 3rd party registered Cryptography lab who evaluates EVERY (really!) submission for the High-Quality Counterfeit replacement program - as they have a pre-determined subset of items they look for.

Stephen Holm, MS

Wednesday, August 1, 2007 2:08 AM
  • Well, despite I do not share the view that the COA is the core factor to determine the illegality of the software, I have just submit the case to MS anit-piracy section. See if they can help.

Anyway, thanks both of you in helping me.

Wednesday, August 1, 2007 1:37 PM
  • Kenneth,

Thank you for the response. Also you can contact the manufacture of the computer and request the reinstallation recovery software for your particular make/model. Take care

Stephen Holm, MS

Wednesday, August 1, 2007 8:58 PM
  • Kenneth M2,

Please refer to the third sentence (highlighted below) in the "What is a Certificate of Authenticity (COA)?" section of this web page http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/content.aspx?pg=coa&displaylang=en :

"A Certificate of Authenticity (COA) is a label that helps you identify genuine Microsoft software. A COA is not a software license – it is a visual identifier that assists in determining whether or not the Microsoft software you are running is genuine. However, without it, you will not have a legal license to run Microsoft software. A COA should never be purchased by itself without the software it authenticates."

Thursday, August 2, 2007 3:28 PM

All replies

•  Kenneth M2 wrote:

Dear all,

Regards

KL 

For your information,

I can activate the winsdows via telephone, but still unable to activate via internet. No problem on the network, at least I can access this site.

Tuesday, July 31, 2007 12:29 PM
  • Kenneth M2,

Tuesday, July 31, 2007 12:33 PM
  • Thanks,

Here are the extract of the result with some info deleted. If the info is correct, why I cannot activate via the internet?

Diagnostic Report (1.7.0039.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Genuine
    Detailed Status: N/A
    Cached / Grace status: N/A, N/A
    Windows Product Key: deleted

Windows Product Key Hash: deleted

Windows Product ID: deleted

Windows Product ID Type: 5
    CSVLK Server: N/A
    CSVLK PID: N/A
    Windows License Type: Retail
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro
    ID: {4B56858B-7E55-484D-A326-5DD008C775DC}(3)
    Is Admin: Yes
    Commit / Reboot / BRT: N/A, N/A, N/A
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.7.36.0
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic: 025D1FF3-171-1
    Resolution Status: N/A

Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A
    File Exists: No
    Version: N/A
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: deleted
    OGA Version: Registered, 1.6.21.0
    Office Diagnostics: 025D1FF3-171-1

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

deleted

Tuesday, July 31, 2007 4:02 PM
  •  Dan at IT Associates wrote:

Kenneth M2,

Since I have purchase the item via the net with no chance to inspect it beforehand, what I have to rely on is the info about the MS homepage anti-priacy features of the XP package. Of course, no one will post their COA or license label on the net for the thiefs. By matching those major features on the CD and the info during the installation, I am quite sure that is geniue non oem xp pro.

However, I have no idea on the problem of internet activation. Despite the MS staff give me the code for the activation everytime, I am so annoyed by phone them again and again.

Tuesday, July 31, 2007 4:19 PM
  • Kenneth M2,

While the materials you purchased may or may not be genuine, the fact remains that without the Certificate of Authenticity, you have NOT purchased a valid License for XP.

Tuesday, July 31, 2007 6:31 PM
  •  

Kenneth,

Dan is spot on. As a customer there are options available to you for a resolution. For details on the ways to “Get Genuine”, see the web page that outlined your validation failure details or http://www.microsoft.com/genuine .  It will provide all of the possible steps which you can take.

Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) is here to help protect YOU, our valued customer. It is important for more people like you to report a piracy case who have become a victim to assist in stopping unscrupulous business practices.  You may be eligible for free software if you have high quality counterfeit discs. We CANNOT determine the "Quality" level of non-Genuine submissions and cannot guarantee such a thing here on the forum. We have a 3rd party registered Cryptography lab who evaluates EVERY (really!) submission for the High-Quality Counterfeit replacement program - as they have a pre-determined subset of items they look for.

Stephen Holm, MS

Wednesday, August 1, 2007 2:08 AM
  • Well, despite I do not share the view that the COA is the core factor to determine the illegality of the software, I have just submit the case to MS anit-piracy section. See if they can help.

Anyway, thanks both of you in helping me.

Wednesday, August 1, 2007 1:37 PM
  • Kenneth,

Thank you for the response. Also you can contact the manufacture of the computer and request the reinstallation recovery software for your particular make/model. Take care

Stephen Holm, MS

Wednesday, August 1, 2007 8:58 PM
  • Kenneth M2,

Please refer to the third sentence (highlighted below) in the "What is a Certificate of Authenticity (COA)?" section of this web page http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/content.aspx?pg=coa&displaylang=en :

"A Certificate of Authenticity (COA) is a label that helps you identify genuine Microsoft software. A COA is not a software license – it is a visual identifier that assists in determining whether or not the Microsoft software you are running is genuine. However, without it, you will not have a legal license to run Microsoft software. A COA should never be purchased by itself without the software it authenticates."

Thursday, August 2, 2007 3:28 PM