Need help to create a program ala Hugin or SamIam RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I really need your help. I am working on an application based on Bayesian networks. I need to display a Bayesian network as a graph (ala Hugin or SamIam ). I planned to use Infer.NET.

But I had a few questions that I don't know how to solve:

1. Is it possible to implement the method to add a child from N-parents?
    2. Is it possible to implement my program (graph editor for Bayesian Networks) using Infer.NET?

I need your advice so much. Sorry for my poor english.

Sunday, March 3, 2013 3:34 PM

All replies

• You can indeed use Infer.NET to visualise a graphical model. However, our framework operates on factor graphs instead of Bayes nets. Therefore, you'll need to convert your model before running inference. Once the factor graph is implemented in terms of the Infer.NET modelling API, you can visualise it by setting the inference engine ShowFactorGraph property to true. An example of a displayed factor graph can be found in our User Guide.

Factor graphs are very powerful, and you might want to consider them for your application. A good introduction to the concept was given by Chris Bishop here (jump to 'Probabilistic Graphical Models' on the right, or even more concretely to 'From Directed Graph to Factor Graph'). An extended talk on graphical models in general can be found here.

Tuesday, March 5, 2013 12:10 PM
  • Thanks for the reply. I have a list of vertices and a list of edges, each defined by a CPT I planned to use Infer.NET as an interface, the input of which receivesa list of vertices ans edges  of graph, and the output - the probability distribution of the Bayesian netalgorithm. Do I understand that I need to somehow convert them into concepts of Infer.NET (as Factor graph). I looked at the example by this link: http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/um/cambridge/projects/infernet/docs/Discrete%20Bayesian%20network.aspx. But I don't undestand how to add a child from N-parents. Could you give some minimal example? I really can't undestand how it will look like as part of my application(editor of BN).

• Edited by zmeyBr Tuesday, March 5, 2013 2:13 PM
    Tuesday, March 5, 2013 2:07 PM
  • Is this thread of any help?
    Wednesday, March 13, 2013 11:29 PM