How/can to replace the system disk. RRS feed

• Question

• My homemade WHS has two internal disks -- 80GB and 1.5TB -- plus a 300GB external disk that I think is being used to mirror my data folders.    Given the price of drives these days, I've been thinking about replacing the smaller disk but I'm not at all clear about how to accomplish that.   Can I just install a virgin drive and "re-install" the server or do I really need to start from scratch?

Also, does it make sense to wait until Vail is released to try this?  I'm not hurting at all for space; I would just prefer to have my duplicated files on an internal drive rather than a USB external disk.  I was thinking that at that point I could backup my shares (which I do not do today).

Sunday, October 31, 2010 9:09 PM

Answers

• Search is your friend; this is one of the more frequently asked and answered questions and you could have learned the answer without waiting half a day.

You remove the disk, replace it with a larger disk, and reinstall. Make sure you choose the "reinstallation" or "recovery" option in setup, not the "new installation" option, and make sure you supply drivers as needed: once on flash drive is fine if your system drive doesn't need special drivers but other drives do, otherwise twice on floppy: once to let the graphical setup discover your drives, then again just after the first reboot at the "Press F6" prompt.

You will not be able to reinstall onto your current server with Vail; the installation of Vail requires you to flatten the computer it's installed on, so you'll have to back up your data and copy it back to your server afterward.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by Athena.. _ Monday, November 1, 2010 2:54 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Athena.. _ Monday, November 1, 2010 2:55 AM
    • Marked as answer by Athena.. _ Monday, November 1, 2010 2:55 AM
    Monday, November 1, 2010 1:47 AM

All replies

• Search is your friend; this is one of the more frequently asked and answered questions and you could have learned the answer without waiting half a day.

You remove the disk, replace it with a larger disk, and reinstall. Make sure you choose the "reinstallation" or "recovery" option in setup, not the "new installation" option, and make sure you supply drivers as needed: once on flash drive is fine if your system drive doesn't need special drivers but other drives do, otherwise twice on floppy: once to let the graphical setup discover your drives, then again just after the first reboot at the "Press F6" prompt.

You will not be able to reinstall onto your current server with Vail; the installation of Vail requires you to flatten the computer it's installed on, so you'll have to back up your data and copy it back to your server afterward.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by Athena.. _ Monday, November 1, 2010 2:54 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Athena.. _ Monday, November 1, 2010 2:55 AM
    • Marked as answer by Athena.. _ Monday, November 1, 2010 2:55 AM
    Monday, November 1, 2010 1:47 AM
  • Actually, I did search before I posted...but I just realized I searched the wrong forum <blush>.  Sorry,

How's this for a strategy:

• Use a big new disk to backup my current system
    • Generate a new Vail RTM system on my existing large disk
    • Restore data
    • Format new disk, install it inernally, and add it to the Vail storage pool

Does that sound reasonable?

Monday, November 1, 2010 3:14 AM