Serial ATA out of the box? RRS feed

• Question

• Is there / gonna be any plans for adding some Serial ATA drivers out of the box with a newer build or RTM version of WHS?

I realise theres a lot of chipsets out there and adding universal support isn't pratical. I was just wondering whether there was any plans to add any native chipset support?

Also if that does happen will it be possible for a supported list of native chipsets to be published somewhere?
    Tuesday, February 20, 2007 10:21 PM

Answers

• yes it was, to install on a sata/raid controller not included in the driver package you would need to disconnect your ide drives (setup otherwise doesn't prompt for the drivers), you then will need to boot up the computer with a usb stick with the right drivers on it connected to it or have a floppy at bay with said drivers. Also make sure the bios is set to boot either the sata controller or scsi device (scsi device in case you don't have the option to choose sata), and after installing before connecting ANY ide hdd change your boot.ini so that it will boot the correct drive/partition (i don't know for sure if this is neccesary but adding a drive on your ide will most likely make that drive become the first drive windows will try to boot off)

I do think that in the final there will be a much broader out of the box package of drivers, especially for mass storage controllers/devices, it wont be difficult for manufacturers to make WHS drivers, whs is windows 2003 based, and windows xp drivers even might be very easy to port, or maybe even compatible enough to run directly on whs. And MS will very likely provide a hardware compatiblity list when WHS is about to ship, as manufacturers will start to label products WHS ready

Remember that since this is a beta things that are not essential for most installations might be kept out to keep download sizes small

Thursday, February 22, 2007 3:53 AM

All replies

• for me installing my s-ata drivers (el cheapo 2 port pci card, i think it was sweex) was very easy, i just had to open the device manager and update the driver, WHS connected to MS and downloaded and installed the right drivers automaticly, though I very much agree this is something that should be out of the box
    Wednesday, February 21, 2007 7:10 AM
  • to do that though, is your primary drive on the IDE bus? So you didn't have to install the driver during setup?
    Wednesday, February 21, 2007 9:20 AM
  • yes it was, to install on a sata/raid controller not included in the driver package you would need to disconnect your ide drives (setup otherwise doesn't prompt for the drivers), you then will need to boot up the computer with a usb stick with the right drivers on it connected to it or have a floppy at bay with said drivers. Also make sure the bios is set to boot either the sata controller or scsi device (scsi device in case you don't have the option to choose sata), and after installing before connecting ANY ide hdd change your boot.ini so that it will boot the correct drive/partition (i don't know for sure if this is neccesary but adding a drive on your ide will most likely make that drive become the first drive windows will try to boot off)

I do think that in the final there will be a much broader out of the box package of drivers, especially for mass storage controllers/devices, it wont be difficult for manufacturers to make WHS drivers, whs is windows 2003 based, and windows xp drivers even might be very easy to port, or maybe even compatible enough to run directly on whs. And MS will very likely provide a hardware compatiblity list when WHS is about to ship, as manufacturers will start to label products WHS ready

Remember that since this is a beta things that are not essential for most installations might be kept out to keep download sizes small

Thursday, February 22, 2007 3:53 AM
  • thank you for your detailed answer
    Thursday, February 22, 2007 9:14 AM
  • Just fyi, I installed WHS on an Asus "A8N-VM CSM" board which has an AMD socket 939 and the nForce430 chipset with 4 on-board SATA ports. I didn't use any IDE drive and put 4 SATA drives in. WHS installed out of the box on this setup without any need for me to supply SATA drivers.

The thing that didn't work out though was the driver install for the Ethernet NIC. I had to fix that up manually afterwards.

Monday, March 12, 2007 8:20 PM
  • FYI I installed on a Asus MB with sata drives with out a problem. Did not need any drivers or IDE drive to install.
    Thursday, March 15, 2007 2:31 AM
  • I also installed sata with no added drivers needed on Biostar NF4 4X-A7 mboard.
    Thursday, March 15, 2007 3:22 AM
  • My first install was on a 40 GB IDE drive attached to the system board controllers, just to get a feel of how the thing worked, and that was followed a few days later with a clean install on a 250 GB SATA drive attached to a Siig SATA card.

It did not come as a shock when the install routine could not find any hard drives, and I was pleasantly surprised to find that it would allow a USB stick to be selected as a source for the disk adapter drivers.

However - several attempts later, when I kept getting messages telling me about illegal file types with two different versions of the adapter drivers, I installed Server 2003 which of course forced me back to a diskette for the drivers, and when that installed without a hitch, went back to HomeServer, this time installing the drivers from diskette and the exact same drivers that gave me an illegal file type error message from the USB stick, installed from the diskette.

Saturday, March 24, 2007 2:43 PM
  • I'm using a dell C521 nforce 440 motherboard the sata was recognised out of the box, had to use usb key with drivers for the network card only. Did take me a couple of attempts to get everything working but ok now.
    Saturday, March 24, 2007 10:46 PM
  • Using and ASRock gigabit board w/intel745 chipset.  Installed with Maxtor 160 SATA drive and all went well, OS recognized the chipset and sata drive.
    Monday, March 26, 2007 1:46 AM
  • I think you will find that most mobo chipsets with SATA  will end up being  supported out of the box. A qiuck look at the replies show you that many already are. 

However there was a time when SATA was first being transitined into mainstream and many mobo makers were adding additonal support to there IDE chipsets by including addtional dedicated SATA contollers. It is these controllers and external PCI cards with SATA controllers that are commonly not supported out of the box by WHS

Especially around the age of hardware that is commonly being resurected as WHS setups. 

Tuesday, March 27, 2007 4:39 AM
  • can you point me in the right direction which drivers i may need?

I am having an awful time finding the additional storage drivers for my ata drive(s).

An assistance would be apprecisted.

Saturday, March 31, 2007 5:31 AM
  • Ok I have this same Siig card and I can't seem to get system to boot past where the post tells me that I have 2 Seagate drives. I have a ASUS
    A7N8X MB. I have tried disconnecting the boot drive and changing the bios to boot from scsi. NO JOY! Any ideas?
    Sunday, April 1, 2007 3:09 PM
  •  Kane5473 wrote:

I think you will find that most mobo chipsets with SATA will end up being supported out of the box. A qiuck look at the replies show you that many already are.

Another "however" to consider is that many motherboards are now shipping with "chipset RAID". In a lot of cases, the BIOS is set to AHCI or RAID mode by default. In that mode, additional storage drivers are required at two points in the WHS installation process. The first time your are prompted to press F6 a Vista driver will be needed. The second time, a Windows 2003 Server driver will be needed.

The best way to deal with this, IMO, is to set the BIOS to use "legacy IDE" mode (it may be called something else, but it's clearly a "lowest common denominator" mode). WHS should install without needing drivers once that's done.
    Sunday, April 1, 2007 4:31 PM
  • Update: after messing with this sata card and new HD, and trying several different setups to try and get these drives and sata card drivers installed. Still no luck and now WHS is hosed. It will not boot into home server at all.

Also, I tried this card in my system and it finds the card, so the sata card is good. BTW, the sata card is a Siig 150 PCI.

Scott

Sunday, April 1, 2007 5:52 PM
  • Hi, this is my first attempt at building a system and installing an OS. I have been timid about posting here due to how ignorant I feel and how experianced all of you are. I joined this beta group because Microsoft seemed to want people who don't know very much, as one of the points of this end product is how easy it is suppose to be for people without much technical knowlege to use and impliment. Well, I am one of those without a great deal of technical knowlege! 

I choose this thread for my first post because this topic was of significant impact during my first foray into an OS installation. I installed 2 320Gig Maxtor HHD on the system I built. In the instructions, both in the manual and at the website, it said I would need to supply drivers via a floppy disk. However, it failed to provide instructions on where to locate said drivers and how to put them on the floppy. I didn't install a floppy, so was pleased when I read in the WHS documentation we can also use USB sticks for installing additional drivers. Whew! It seems the directions are primarily pointed towards individuals who already are knowlegable system builders and OS installers. This pretty much leaves newcomers out in the cold. Be that as it may, I still foraged on. I read as many posts here as possible, and finally came upon this thread. It gave me the courage to just "do it" and see what happened.

My installation went without any request for additional SATA driver(s).  However, it didn't find a driver for my Onboard Ethernet, as one other person posted here.

My inexperianced take on this is that installations using new hard drives goes without a request for additional drivers, but older systems which are repurposed are asking for these additional drivers during the WHS installation. I could be mistaken, but from all I have read, this is how it appears. newer motherboards are now supporting SATA out of the box. I did not need to update the BIOS. I read that some who are using repurposed systems are required to update the BIOS, in order to get support for SATA, and for support of larger HHD, among other items. These two seem the most discussed issues with older systems repurposed into WHS. Several individuals got new BIOS here: http://www.esupport.com I checked this out and it seems a great site, and I will use it in the future.

Now, as I am doing all this for the very first time, I am not sure how to go about getting the driver(s) for the Onboard Ethernet. My question is: Do I just pop in the motherboards CD which contains all of the related drivers and utilities and allow it to auto-install everything it contains, or do I have to rummage about in the contents of the CD and locate the correct driver for just the Onboard Ethernet? I am rather hoping I can just auto-install the dratted stuff, and not have to locate a driver I don't even know the name for!

I deeply appreciate any and all assistance with this issue. I hope a response comes soon, as until I get the proper driver installed I can't move forwared with this project. I can't hook up WHS to my network or the computers to WHS, until this is corrected.

Update: Successfully installed mb drivers for missing Gigabyte Ethernet, as well as replaced the generic drivers Windows Server 2003 provided out of the box for all the other onboard mb features, which worked fine, but now are better yet. After reading further posts it seems most of the trouble comes from older mb/computers used as host for WHS, while newer mb are installing HHD drivers out of the box.

After extensive search of mb cd, I found the proper drivers, then popped cd into drive and selected from a list. I did this after the installation of WHS, not during, for any who is interested.  

I am experiancing trouble with the font size on this forum. Sorry the first section is so tiny, but that is "normal" size, and the "large" size is huge in comparison, a tremendous difference between normal and large. Why today normal is working I just don't know. Anyhoo, sorry for how small my original post is, most probably won't bother reading it as it causes eye strain. I noticed other posts are also as tiny, and comments about simular difficulty with font sizing. Oh, well.  

Monday, April 9, 2007 8:59 PM
  • I've been fighting with a "cannot initialize UI" error for a couple of weeks, and I believe it's the same problem.  I've booted with drivers available on floppy *and* on USB, with no success.  In my case, I'm trying to boot off a Promise TX4 SATA card with a SATA DVD and two SATA HDD's.  This combination worked under W2K3 with drivers off a floppy, but it does not work for WHS.
    Monday, April 9, 2007 9:11 PM
  • Seree1

The answer to your question is a resounding maybe. 

It all depends on how your system manufacture laid out the drivers on the CD supplied.

Now most systems come with a driver CD, some of these CD’s are set to detect which OS it’s installed on and either display the correct drivers to install or show a list of drivers that are available on the CD.

Some systems only come with a restore CD.  In my opinion, these are usually only good to make sure your desk doesn’t get wet from your coffee cup.  These CD’s will return the system to how it shipped from the factory.  This can be nice sometimes, but results in lost data, and all the programs that you’ve installed from the time you purchased the computer.

A second way is to go to the website for the system manufacture (on a second machine) and download the drivers.  If you put the model number or Serial number for the system into their support site, it will usually tell you which drivers are needed for your system.

If you could give us some more information about your system (Manufacture, model) we should be able to help farther.

Tuesday, April 10, 2007 8:28 PM
  • Kerros, thank you for your reply. You are correct, the mb CD was set to "discover" which OS was installed and offered up a list of drivers and programs to select from. I went ahead and installed all mb drivers even though WHS has only required the driver for the Gigabyte Ethernet adaper/controller. My WHS is now up and humming along. I spent a couple of days searching the mb CD, and it was confusing which one(s) I needed as so many were housed there. I finally just popped the CD into the drive and selected from a list of items. I did not install any of the included software programs, either included with the mb, or the Memorex CD/DVD drive. I have learned a great deal from building this system and installing this OS. Sorry it took so long for me to thank you for posting in response to my concern, and I do sincerelly appreate your response.

Seree

Tuesday, April 17, 2007 4:16 PM
  • Seree1, I would be very careful who you tell about your experience in building your own home server.  Otherwise, you might find yourself up at 4AM trying to help your boss's sister's babysitter get her data recovered.  
    Tuesday, April 17, 2007 5:52 PM
  • jkcarroll, thank you for the advice!  I never thought of it this way. I can honestly say, however, that I am far from any type of expert. lol I don't have the slightest clue how to recover missing data. Yet!  

Seree

Tuesday, April 17, 2007 6:02 PM
  • In regards to Serial ATA for anyone using a MSI 6702 mobo (K8T Neo) I just installed the server software on an ide drive first.

After the initial setup, WHS would not recgonize the two SATA drives I had connected to the promise 376/378 ports on the mobo.  I tried the Server 2003 drivers from the MSI site and the XP SATA drivers with no sucess.

After brainstorming a while I used the IDE driver for XP and WHS recgonized the drives and I was able to add them to the storage mix.

I don't know if there will be a performance hit using the IDE driver or not but it would seem that unless you are running a raid configuration on the promise port that is the only way to go.

Friday, April 20, 2007 4:23 PM
  • I had to change to Legacy IDE to complete my install which I was dissapointed that AHCI is not supported. Even with loading SATA drivers at various times during the install I consistenly received blue screen errors. Since I have an Intel board I would have thought the SATA ICH7 chipset would be supported but I think becuase the OS is a hodge podge of 2 different OS's, there might be some things missed
    That is why this is RC1 and not the final relase.

Bryan
    Thursday, July 26, 2007 3:35 PM
  • I have an ASUS A8V Deluxe and I get the "Hard drive capable of hosting Windows Home Server not found" error message during setup.

I installed 3 brand new Seagate 1Tb SATA drives and used the same cables and connectors that were used for the 250Gb SATA drives that I took out of the machine when running XP.

I disable RAID in the BIOS and it sees all 3 drives there.

I don't know what driver it's looking for.  C'mon MS, this is BS. 

Any idea which driver I need to search for?

Tuesday, November 20, 2007 6:50 PM
  • Only a guess here...

Do you have the Promise SATA378 Driver V1.00.0.26 for Windows 98SE/NT4.0/ME/2000/XP/2003 loaded? It's on the ASUS Support web site for the A8V.

Tuesday, November 20, 2007 10:17 PM
  • Well maniac, that sort of helped, I was apparently trying to load the RAID driver not the SATA driver.  So, it got me through the first part, continued the install and then when it rebooted it prompted me for third party drivers for an unspecified device and asked me to insert the floppy in drive A:  Only problem is that the only computer out of the five in my house that has a floppy is the box that I'm trying to install WHS on!!! Therefore I can't create a disk to load the driver from.   If I try to continue from that point it tells me that setup failed to load the OEM drivers and setup cannot continue.

Wednesday, November 21, 2007 12:46 AM
  • Hate to say it but the situation has not improved with RTM.  No matter what I try, I cannot get AHCI SATA working during the installation of WHS on my ICH9 chipset.  It gets past the first phase of the install no worries, but the 'F6' stage fails with a 0x0000007B STOP error.  I've tried a bunch of different drivers & configurations, but all ends up with the same result.

It's pretty piss-poor IMO, but what can you do?
    Tuesday, December 4, 2007 3:54 AM
  • Stevo,

I realize this is a pretty old post but I thought I would let you know anyways for you and anyone else who runs into this problem.

I have the same motherboard, Asus K8V SE Deleux. First make sure the drive is connected to the SATA controller and not the RAID SATA controller. The manual is not clear on which is which. To be sure look on the board for PRI_SATA instead of the SATA1. Then make sure you have the drivers for the SATA controller (not the RAID)...obviously. In all instances where it asks if you want to specify a driver do so and choose the XP one, NOT the Win2003. I'm not sure why the Win2003 doesn't work when WHS is based off of Windows Server 2003, but that's just how it is.

Bottom line: Use the XP drivers whenever asked.

Wednesday, January 23, 2008 2:17 AM