Bought Product Key, But Didn't Work?.. RRS feed

• Question

• Staff,

I'm basically wondering if I can get a refund for the $213.00 purchase of a Windows 7 Product ID Key.

I purchased the key due to the fact that I'm receiving the message that my version of Windows is Not genuine.

After purchasing the key, I attempted to change the product key through my computer settings.

Nearly 3 seconds after attempting to activate the Windows, it just brought me back to the 'Go online and resolve now' screen once again..

I did a little research on why this isn't working; and from what I can tell- I have to repurchase Windows completely?..

Which at the point, I'm basically completely okay with. But I'm defiantly not okay with doing so if I cannot have a refund on the completely pointless purchase.

This is getting a little out of hand. I'm using the disk I had received from a previous computer I had purchased from Dell to install onto my new computer.

& Now I have to spend over $400 on Windows? That's down right outrageous. I could go run Ubuntu for free, which right now sounds much better then all of this non-sense.

Sorry for sounding a bit abrupt about this, but this seems to be a hugh 'scam' to me.

Microsoft, you're losing customers slowly..

Outrageous.. Completely outrageous.

Monday, October 15, 2012 1:56 AM

Answers

• You cannot use "the disk I had received from a previous computer I had purchased from Dell to install onto my new computer".  That disc can only be used with the Dell computer it originally came with.  If you purchased a Windows 7 product key from Microsoft, please see: http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msstore/html/pbPage.Help_Return_Exchange.

Note:  You'll need to purchase a conventional "full retail" edition of Windows 7 and use the disc that comes with it to reformat your hard drive and install Windows 7 properly.

Carey Frisch

• Marked as answer by Hult Monday, October 15, 2012 2:25 AM
    Monday, October 15, 2012 2:19 AM

All replies

• You cannot use "the disk I had received from a previous computer I had purchased from Dell to install onto my new computer".  That disc can only be used with the Dell computer it originally came with.  If you purchased a Windows 7 product key from Microsoft, please see: http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msstore/html/pbPage.Help_Return_Exchange.

Note:  You'll need to purchase a conventional "full retail" edition of Windows 7 and use the disc that comes with it to reformat your hard drive and install Windows 7 properly.

Carey Frisch

• Marked as answer by Hult Monday, October 15, 2012 2:25 AM
    Monday, October 15, 2012 2:19 AM
  • Please observe the sticky at the top of this forum titled, "Please Read Before Posting" and post your MGADiag report in your next reply.

If you bought a product key online from the Microsoft Store then you can download the .iso file as well and burn it to a dvd and use that to install Windows.  However, most non-genuine issues do not require reinstallation of Windows.  We need to see your MGADiag report in order to diagnose your issue.

Windows product keys cannot be purchased seperately from the software so if you purchased from a non-Microsoft site you were scammed.

Colin Barnhorst Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on DIY with 8GB ram.

Monday, October 15, 2012 10:24 AM
    Answerer