How do I use Microsoft Search 4.0 on WHS? RRS feed

• Question

• I want to put Microsoft Search 4.0 on the Windows Home Server and have my computers search it remotely.  Right now my computers individually try to index the server.
    How do I make the Windows Home Server index itself using Microsoft Search 4.0 and have my computers access the Server's index without each computer remotely indexing the server themselves?
    Saturday, October 24, 2009 1:28 AM

All replies

• i presume this will be in PP3.

ken will know this?????
    Saturday, October 24, 2009 6:25 AM
  • Your computers running Windows Vista or Windows 7 should use the search indexes on the server now, for files in the server shares.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, October 24, 2009 1:08 PM
  • I want to put Microsoft Search 4.0 on the Windows Home Server and have my computers search it remotely.  Right now my computers individually try to index the server.
    How do I make the Windows Home Server index itself using Microsoft Search 4.0 and have my computers access the Server's index without each computer remotely indexing the server themselves?

As Ken said, it should work as it is (mine does).  Having said that, MS Search 4.0 is part of the installation process for Power Pack 3 beta (and I would therefore assume it will be part of PP3 RTM as well).
    Saturday, October 24, 2009 11:18 PM

As Ken said, it should work as it is (mine does).  Having said that, MS Search 4.0 is part of the installation process for Power Pack 3 beta (and I would therefore assume it will be part of PP3 RTM as well).

Any idea when the RTM version of PP3 is going to be available? Paul Thurott indicated it would be released with Win 7, but, that has since passed and no PP3 yet. :|
    Sunday, October 25, 2009 4:02 AM
  • Any idea when the RTM version of PP3 is going to be available? Paul Thurott indicated it would be released with Win 7, but, that has since passed and no PP3 yet. :|
    Sadly, it would seem that Paul was incorrect. Microsoft is the only reliable source of information about release dates for Microsoft products, and they haven't announced a release date for Power Pack 3 yet.
    Sunday, October 25, 2009 2:13 PM
  • On the Connect site it shows the latest is PP3 Beta Preview and was available on 9/23/2009. Anyone know if this is a Beta 1, Beta 2 or a Release Candidate? It seems the Power Pack betas don't follow the same nomenclature as their OS releases. So anyone who followed the PP2 and 1 Beta's and is following the PP3 beta, can guesstimate based on how long the previous betas too till released. Basically, is it possible that it might be released any day now, or have the Power Packs typically gone into a Release Candidate status available to testers before becoming the final version available on Windows Update for everyone?

EDIT: and Paul made that report in July I think, so I don't really fault him for it the bad information, that was just the only information I've found on a potential release date.
    • Edited by ZacConnect Sunday, October 25, 2009 3:20 PM read the edit.
    Sunday, October 25, 2009 3:18 PM
  • You can learn all the information that Microsoft has chosen to share about Power Pack 3 from the Windows Home Server Team Blog and the Microsoft Connect site. I am aware that this information doesn't answer many people's questions fully (or at all), however this is the only information that Microsoft has released publicly.
    Sunday, October 25, 2009 4:57 PM
  • How do I make my computers use the index on the WHS machine?  Do I have to add a UNC location?

Tuesday, October 27, 2009 7:41 PM
  • (This will not work on XP; desktop search doesn't have the same capabilities.)
    • Open Windows Explorer.
    • Navigate to your server via UNC path, e.g. \\SERVER.
    • Type a search term in the search box in Explorer.

Tuesday, October 27, 2009 8:37 PM
  • I Have PP3 and ever since the upgrade with win 7 I can not search my WHS. When I type a search item it just sits there and the path bar has a green status but never says searching.

If I serch a local drive it works.

I have an Aser Easystore and everything about WHS such on this, It is slow to respond, My HDD have been thashing about 24-7 for 4 weeks now. The WHS never stops accessing the drives, Ever.

The consol stops working after a few days and requires a re-boot.

When trying to access the unit via the consol it fails to find the unit somtimes.

All the above I think are due to the havy workload of somthing on the device causing to allways access the HDD.

I ahve posted on connect and this board and no one from microsoft has responded, and their tech support is 79.00.
    Friday, December 18, 2009 8:12 PM