Cant use Remote Desktop RRS feed

• Question

• Hey I just started playing with live mesh and I want to use the remote desktop I added it as a device but it says I cant do remote desktop I allowed live mesh in the windows firewall. I think it has to do with my router as to why I cant do it. Im using a belkin router dose anyone think they can help me out?
    Saturday, April 26, 2008 1:24 AM

Answers

• Hi samlikecoke,

Live Mesh currently does not support over-the-shoulder elevation (i.e., installing from a standard account and entering your admin password when prompted).  You have to install while actually logged in as an admin.  Please try uninstalling Live Mesh from your Vista PC, and then reinstalling while logged in as an admin.

Also please note that you need to remove the device from your mesh before uninstalling the software.  To do this, go to the Devices page, select the device you want to remove, click Options, and then click Remove device from Live Mesh.

After you have reinstalled the Live Mesh software, you should be able to open a Live Mesh Remote Desktop connection to that device.  Please let me know if you continue to have issues, though.

Thanks,

Ben.
    Monday, April 28, 2008 9:44 PM

All replies

• On the target PC is remote desktop enabled in the firewall? In fact, are you using Windows Firewall or a 3rd party firewall?
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare Forum Moderator
    Sunday, April 27, 2008 7:54 PM
  • Hi samlikecoke,

To clarify: Are you attempting to start a Live Mesh Remote Desktop session and receiving an error?  Or is the notifier telling you that the device is unavailable for Live Mesh Remote Desktop?

If it's the latter, please try connecting anyway.  We have a known issue where a device is listed as unavailable for Live Mesh Remote Desktop, but the user can still connect (it is a problem with updating the availability status of the device, and does not interfere with the actual connection).

If your problem is the former, can you please provide additional system information (what operating system the two machines are using, what browser you're using, anything else you might think useful)?  I'll follow up for you.

Thanks,

Ben.
    Monday, April 28, 2008 7:26 PM
  • The PC im trying connect to is running windows Vista perdum and I get an error saying "This device cannot be accessed. Please check the Live Mesh notifier on the device to see if the remote desktop enhancements need to be installed." I installed live mesh on a V-PC and I was able to get in to that just fine. I think it might be because the V-PC is running windows XP and it is running as admin the windows Vista PC is running in standard user. Im not sure if that would do anything but I'm going to try and change it to a admin login and see if that helps. If you know anything plz tell me and if it works I'll tell you.
    Monday, April 28, 2008 8:35 PM
  • Hi samlikecoke,

I have another follow up question for you (we might be getting closer to resolving your issue): When you installed Live Mesh on your Vista PC (the one that you're trying to connect to remotely), did you do so from your standard user account, or as an admin?  Currently, you need to be logged in as an administrator when you first install Live Mesh on a Vista PC.

I'll keep following up with you on this.

Thanks,

Ben.
    Monday, April 28, 2008 9:20 PM
  • Hi Ben,

I did install it on my standard account I think it asked for my Admin password. Im not sure if that helps at all.

Samlikecoke.
    Monday, April 28, 2008 9:25 PM
  • Hi samlikecoke,

Live Mesh currently does not support over-the-shoulder elevation (i.e., installing from a standard account and entering your admin password when prompted).  You have to install while actually logged in as an admin.  Please try uninstalling Live Mesh from your Vista PC, and then reinstalling while logged in as an admin.

Also please note that you need to remove the device from your mesh before uninstalling the software.  To do this, go to the Devices page, select the device you want to remove, click Options, and then click Remove device from Live Mesh.

After you have reinstalled the Live Mesh software, you should be able to open a Live Mesh Remote Desktop connection to that device.  Please let me know if you continue to have issues, though.

Thanks,

Ben.
    Monday, April 28, 2008 9:44 PM
  • I also can't get Remote desktop to work when trying to access a WinXp Pro-32 bit machine. The web page errors with "desktop enhancements not installed". I tried removing the device, installing the mesh client again but still no luck. I use Windows OneCare and all the firewall, port settings say enabled for remote desktop. I have also setup port forwarding on the Linksys router (but for some reason that does not work either using DynDns.org with mstsc). Anyways, below is the text from the log file (Sorry about pasting this here, I can't seem to find a way to attach a file in the forum). I have sent the log files to the email alias mentioned.
    Tuesday, November 25, 2008 9:06 AM