Defrag program RRS feed

• Question

• Does anyone know which defrag program OneCare uses?  I have Diskeeper 8 Home and won't renew my subscription if that's not the program used for defrag.

Thursday, February 7, 2008 5:49 AM

Answers

• OneCare uses the Windows Defrag utility. You can continue to use the Diskeeper 8 program alongside OneCare with no issues. The Windows Defrag and Diskeeper do not conflict with each other.

-steve

Thursday, February 7, 2008 1:38 PM

All replies

• OneCare uses the Windows Defrag utility. You can continue to use the Diskeeper 8 program alongside OneCare with no issues. The Windows Defrag and Diskeeper do not conflict with each other.

-steve

Thursday, February 7, 2008 1:38 PM
  • OneCare says I need to defrag & it will do it "later."  However, when I go to the defrag program under "accessories" it analyses & says I DON'T need to defrag.

Saturday, February 16, 2008 9:43 PM
  • When you run the the defragmenter application within Windows XP manually and use the analyze button, it will indicate whether the disk is fragmented badly enough that you need to defragment immediately. This decision is based on some arbitrary level of fragmentation (percentage) that was somehow determined to be reasonable.

OneCare, on the other hand, simply immediately starts defragmentation since a disk always has some level of fragmentation no matter how small. This way it doesn't waste time trying to determine how bad the fragmentation is and simply does the best job it can in the time alloted. This is because there is an arbitrary time limit, 15 minues last I knew, at which OneCare will stop the defragmentation and move on to the next part of Tune-up. This avoids tying up the PC for hours, but also results in the message that defragmentation couldn't be completed, though eventually the defrag should 'catch up' in most cases.

Neither approach is really better or worse, one just involves the user and the other automates and allows the user to ignore the task. There have been cases where the defragmenter wasn't operating properly, but this can be easily confirmed by manually running the defragmentation to completion sometime before the next Tune-up. If the message still displays there may be a real problem and you can contact OneCare Support for help.

OneCareBear

Saturday, February 16, 2008 11:02 PM
  • AFTER I RUN TUNE UP THE DEFRAG SAYS THAT AN UNKNOWM ERROR PREVENTED THE TUNE-UP FROM PREFORMING THE TASK. DEFRAG HAS DENIED THE TASK 3X SO FAR??

Friday, March 21, 2008 3:12 AM
  •  STREETM wrote:

AFTER I RUN TUNE UP THE DEFRAG SAYS THAT AN UNKNOWM ERROR PREVENTED THE TUNE-UP FROM PREFORMING THE TASK. DEFRAG HAS DENIED THE TASK 3X SO FAR??

You might want to try running a Defrag manually. It is possible that there are errors on the disk that need to be repaired before Defrag will run.

If you need help with this, please contact support - 

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve
    Friday, March 21, 2008 3:45 PM
  • OneCare does not make it clear which drives it actually defragments? I have one internal hard drive, which has two partitions on it - CBig Smilerive for Windows and all my other programs and D: drive for all my personal files. So does it just defragment C: drive? Or does it defragment the entire hard disk?

Also, what happens if I plug in my external drive? Will it defragment that as well? Or would I need to use Windows defragmenter to defrag any external drives?

Tuesday, March 25, 2008 4:21 AM
  • OneCare defrags all attached drives and partitions and there's no way to configure it. Note that larger drives, especially external ones will likely not be completely defragmented by the OneCare Tune-up, so if that's a concern for you, run Defrag manually as you desire, though my recommendation is to not do this very often - it generally isn't needed. The benefit is negligible unless you are regularly working with large files on these drives.

-steve

Tuesday, March 25, 2008 12:07 PM
  •  Stephen Boots wrote:

OneCare defrags all attached drives and partitions and there's no way to configure it. Note that larger drives, especially external ones will likely not be completely defragmented by the OneCare Tune-up, so if that's a concern for you, run Defrag manually as you desire, though my recommendation is to not do this very often - it generally isn't needed. The benefit is negligible unless you are regularly working with large files on these drives.

-steve

Thank you so much! That is the most informative and prompt response that I have ever received!

Tuesday, March 25, 2008 1:24 PM
  • You're very welcome.

-steve

Tuesday, March 25, 2008 1:36 PM