Benefits? RRS feed

• Question

• Please detail to me the additional "benefits" of having Genuine M$ software?

I mean aside from the updates M$ contractually and morally obligated themselves

to when I bought XP and agreed to the EULA...

Thursday, October 5, 2006 1:54 PM

Answers

All replies

• Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) program FAQ: http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/downloads/FAQ.aspx?displaylang=en
    Thursday, October 5, 2006 2:34 PM
  • I, too, am a user who bought my computer from a major manufacturer with the OS pre-installed.  I find that I have the option of restoring my system to the ad-ware infested state that I got it in or doing a backup.  The supplied backup software will not write to DVD (windows ntbackup). Further, the option to make a boot disk requires that I insert a floppy disk.  I don't have a floppy drive.  The supplied DVD burning software does not seem to offer a choice of making a bootable DVD and there is nothing that I can find in the "knowledge base" here that fills the need unless I am an SDK developer.  My choice appears to be buying a third party backup package.  What ever happened to the idea that I should back up my OS???  I really don't want to spend another $60-80 to do something that the OS should do.  To add insult to injury, I get a notification that ms wants to install spyware on my computer.  They call it a "genuine advantage", but it looks just like spyware to me.  I really am beginning to think that the hassles are worse than the ease of use.  Maybe learning Linux would be worth the effort.  At least I would not be robbed every time I want to do some basic housekeeping task.

Thursday, October 26, 2006 7:12 PM
  • Contact the manufacturer of your computer for support assistance.
    Thursday, October 26, 2006 7:51 PM