HP Media Smart EX470 Power Consumption RRS feed

• Question

• I was very impressed with this product at CES and purchased one immediately from HP.  This unit was purchased to backup my home office computers.  I hope to use some of the other slick features in the future.

Power consumption averages 50w using a “watts up? PRO” after adding a second drive.  Backing up 3 systems only takes a few minutes after the initial backup.  Is there any way to have the server go into standby for the other 23+ hours and use wake up on LAN when needed?

I read that Home Server Power Pac 1 was addressing this.  Is this correct?

Friday, January 18, 2008 2:10 PM

All replies

• I'm not sure where you read that PP1 would have additional power saving features; it wasn't part of the HP announcements as far as I can remember (or find on the HP web site), and I don't recall Microsoft ever making such a claim.

You can configure your MediaSmart Server to go into standby easily enough. Waking it later could be a problem; unless the HP BIOS is preconfigured to support Wake On LAN (and I don't know that it is), you may not be able to set things up so that WOL works. You can try logging in using Remote Desktop and configuring the network adapter to wake the server on magic packets, then put it in standby manually and try waking it using any of the many tools that are available to generate magic packets and see what happens. You'll need your server's MAC address for the magic packet tool.
    Friday, January 18, 2008 5:29 PM