the wizard cannot find your home server RRS feed

• Question

• My laptop died and am trying to restore the machine to the last backup. Booting off the Restore CD works, but it can't find the home server. I've rebooted both the server and the machine and left the machine on for a while just in case in needed time to resolve names and such, but it never finds it. The laptop is connected over ethernet and plugged in. The home server is on and I can connect to it from my other machine.

Ideas?
    Friday, October 16, 2009 2:19 AM

Answers

• Windows 7 RTM 64bit.

The restore environment created when you boot from the restore CD is 32-bit only.  You might try looking for the Win 7 32-bit version of your NIC driver and try using that when you load drivers from the USB flash drive.
    Saturday, October 17, 2009 10:25 PM

All replies

• My laptop died and am trying to restore the machine to the last backup. Booting off the Restore CD works, but it can't find the home server. I've rebooted both the server and the machine and left the machine on for a while just in case in needed time to resolve names and such, but it never finds it. The laptop is connected over ethernet and plugged in. The home server is on and I can connect to it from my other machine.

Ideas?
    Did you copy the drivers from your server to a flash drive, then load those drivers after booting your laptop from the restore CD?  What OS do you have on your laptop (and is it 32 bit or 64 bit)?
    Friday, October 16, 2009 2:46 AM
  • I did not copy them. Thanks. So I followed the directions to copy them, but when I try to copy the files to my USB drive (or my hard drive), I get the error "can't read from the source file or disk" for 6 different files. This results in none of the drivers loading on my laptop. I've remounted a few times to no avail. My older backups won't even mount.

My laptop is 64 bit.

Thanks for your help.
    Friday, October 16, 2009 4:21 AM
  • So I finally got the drivers to copy. Still nothing. What is interesting is that the lights on my router don't blink so it's like there's no network activity going on. Also, when I try to manually enter my server name, I immediately get a network error.
    Friday, October 16, 2009 5:37 AM
  • I did not copy them. Thanks. So I followed the directions to copy them, but when I try to copy the files to my USB drive (or my hard drive), I get the error "can't read from the source file or disk" for 6 different files. This results in none of the drivers loading on my laptop. I've remounted a few times to no avail. My older backups won't even mount.

My laptop is 64 bit.

Thanks for your help.

To clarify: exactly what OS is on your laptop and is the OS 32-bit or 64-bit?  (The fact that your laptop has a 64 bit CPU has no bearing on recovery.)
    Saturday, October 17, 2009 10:16 PM
  • Windows 7 RTM 64bit.
    Saturday, October 17, 2009 10:18 PM
  • Windows 7 RTM 64bit.

The restore environment created when you boot from the restore CD is 32-bit only.  You might try looking for the Win 7 32-bit version of your NIC driver and try using that when you load drivers from the USB flash drive.
    Saturday, October 17, 2009 10:25 PM