IM in OCS - How to configure OCS so Users are able to see messages sent while offline? RRS feed

• Question

• Greetings,
    When sending an IM to an offline user with OC, they won't see the message sent once logged in (like MSN Messenger per example).
    Is there a configuration in OCS that would make this happend?
    Thank you for your help!

Claude
    Thursday, July 23, 2009 6:57 PM

Answers

• Hello Claude

AFAIK this is not possible in this version of MOC.

You could use Group Chat or send an Email for Offline Messages.

If Email is implemented with Voice you can call the VoiceBox of the requested User directly and if your users have Pushmail with their mobiles, they will get your message quickly.

Cheers
    Werner
    • Marked as answer by klodmoro. _ Thursday, July 23, 2009 10:36 PM
    Thursday, July 23, 2009 8:46 PM

All replies

• Hello Claude

AFAIK this is not possible in this version of MOC.

You could use Group Chat or send an Email for Offline Messages.

If Email is implemented with Voice you can call the VoiceBox of the requested User directly and if your users have Pushmail with their mobiles, they will get your message quickly.

Cheers
    Werner
    • Marked as answer by klodmoro. _ Thursday, July 23, 2009 10:36 PM
    Thursday, July 23, 2009 8:46 PM
  • It is not possible, and is by design.  Actually, you can't even send a message to an offline user.  OCS will report to the sender that the other party is no available and specifically state that the message was not delivered.  As Werner mentioned email is best suited for that scenario.  IM is a complimantary service to Email, not a replacement.

Jeff Schertz, PointBridge | MVP | MCITP: Enterprise Messaging | MCTS: OCS
    Thursday, July 23, 2009 9:03 PM
  • Thank you Werner for your answer. We'll be looking at the Group Chat feature to see what it can do for us.

Best regards,

Claude
    Thursday, July 23, 2009 10:39 PM
  • Thank you for your answer Jeff.

Some users would like to get instant message notifications right after logging in, without having to open Outlook, but as you mention IM is complimentary to Email and nowadays, first thing most people do is go to their emails...

Personally, I like this feature in Windows Live Messenger; Sometimes I will be messaging back and forth with friends and family while the recipient is offline and often will receive the reply while I am myself offline (different time zones) and offline messaging works well because the lenght of the messages are usually really small, causual and doesn't require an immediate response.

Regards,

Claude
    Thursday, July 23, 2009 11:05 PM