HELP: Large File Upload Timing Out RRS feed

• Question

• I've created a user account for my sister with full access to the "Photos" folder on my HP MediaServer. She successfully uploaded a 10MB file from her Mac in her house to the HP box in my house, but we're now trying to  get a 100MB file uploaded and it keeps timing out before the file upload is completed. Is there any workaround for this. I believe she's using the Safari browser. If she used IE on her Mac would it make any difference? If not, how do we get this to work. She will need to frequently transfer 100+ MB files to my server and we need to get this resolved. At our data rates, I projects some files may take 4-5 hours. That's no big deal for us, but if a time limit is going to cut off our transmission, then that will kill our plans. Is setting up an FTP server the only way to transfer big files?
    Thursday, February 14, 2008 3:34 AM

Answers

• You will have to download the WHS toolkit and change your remote session timeout to something more then the default 20 minutes..
    Thursday, February 14, 2008 8:02 AM
  • MIke

Even thought the toolkit is an add-in, you install it differently than normal add-ins.

Easy instructions can be found here:

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2253939&SiteID=50

Make sure you read it all and follow all the steps and you should be fine.

Andrew

Thursday, February 14, 2008 5:33 PM
  •  Mike942 wrote:
    Just to bring closure to this issue, I was able to successfuly install the toolkit from a different PC. From the original PC, I keep getting denied access to all files and folders on the server. But from the other PC, I have access. So now I need to figure out why I don;t have access from the original PC and how to correct it. Any ideas?
    Please verify that the account you're logged in to the original PC with also exists on the server. You can see that on the server by looking at the appropriate tab of the console. On the PC, you can:
    • Start  Run. (on vista, go to the search box on the start menu.)
    • Type control userpasswords2 and press enter.
    • Find your account here.
    • Right click, select Properties.
    You'll see the user name and the full name. The full name is what you change with the regular control panel user management tool. Changing that won't change the user or login name, which is what Windows Home Server uses.
    Friday, February 15, 2008 2:38 AM

All replies

• You will have to download the WHS toolkit and change your remote session timeout to something more then the default 20 minutes..
    Thursday, February 14, 2008 8:02 AM
  • Thanks. Sounds like exactly what I want to do. But, I followed the directions on installing Add-ins. I placed the ToolKit.msi file in the Add-Ins folder on  the server, then fired up the console. But when I go to the Add-Ins tab of the Settings Console, the Tool Kit doesn't show up. The "Available" panel is empty. So I have nothing to install. What do I do?
    Thursday, February 14, 2008 4:23 PM
  • MIke

Even thought the toolkit is an add-in, you install it differently than normal add-ins.

Easy instructions can be found here:

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2253939&SiteID=50

Make sure you read it all and follow all the steps and you should be fine.

Andrew

Thursday, February 14, 2008 5:33 PM
  • Andrew,

I followed the directions, but like I wrote in another post, the troubleshooter won't let me logon to the server even though I'm using the Administrator username with the correcct password. It reports that the logon failed.

There is another thing I'm confused about. I successfully run the Console from my PC. But if I try to access a folder on the server from my PC via the Explorer, it says I don't have permission. I could swear when I frist got this thing a few weeks ago, that when I try to access a folder on the server, it asked me for a username and password. I'm not being asked now. Access is just being denied. So how do I gain access to server folders/files from my PC via the Explorer?
    Thursday, February 14, 2008 5:54 PM
  • Just to bring closure to this issue, I was able to successfuly install the toolkit from a different PC. From the original PC, I keep getting denied access to all files and folders on the server. But from the other PC, I have access. So now I need to figure out why I don;t have access from the original PC and how to correct it. Any ideas?
    Thursday, February 14, 2008 9:47 PM
  •  Mike942 wrote:
    Just to bring closure to this issue, I was able to successfuly install the toolkit from a different PC. From the original PC, I keep getting denied access to all files and folders on the server. But from the other PC, I have access. So now I need to figure out why I don;t have access from the original PC and how to correct it. Any ideas?
    Please verify that the account you're logged in to the original PC with also exists on the server. You can see that on the server by looking at the appropriate tab of the console. On the PC, you can:
    • Start  Run. (on vista, go to the search box on the start menu.)
    • Type control userpasswords2 and press enter.
    • Find your account here.
    • Right click, select Properties.
    You'll see the user name and the full name. The full name is what you change with the regular control panel user management tool. Changing that won't change the user or login name, which is what Windows Home Server uses.
    Friday, February 15, 2008 2:38 AM
  • Hello,

Was the issue of publishing the toolkit to the server ever resolved?

I too am having a problem installing Toolkit.msi to my home pc (vista32Ultimate) network\\myhomeserver\Software/Add-In folder. I get a message: Access to folder is denied. Being the administrator, I gave myself permissions for the folder.

I still can't open it. I noticed this has been an irritating change in Vista where you are denied access to things and can't figure out how to fix it. I was able to run the toolkit, and the advanced testing from the Command Line but I just can't figure out why I can't install the kit into my empty Add-In Folder.

Thanks for any help out there.

Thursday, April 17, 2008 8:45 PM
  • Look at me, replying to myself!  Just wanted to update the string.  I was able to add the Toolkit to the add-Ins.

Unfortunately I had to first re-install WHS software to do it. (?)  I always plan for Murphy to show up, and he did. I THOUGHT it would be a good idea to also remove the Connector software from my main PC before Installing the WHS software on the server.

Now I can't get the PC Connector software fully installed because it won't log into the server. Doesn't connect or see it. The little circle thingy that goes around while the computer is doing stuff just stops; then it asks for password, it takes it and then tells me the server's not responding.

On my other two computers I left the Connector software installed. They both work with the server fine. My firewall and virus checker are off and my router has been re-booted. Also, I did the advanced Tool Kit on the command line and it passed!!

Still can't get the Connector software installed. I'll let you know...when I know something more.

Comments are welcome.....

Saturday, April 19, 2008 4:55 AM
  • Thanks to Jason Dunn, his 7 step plan fixed my Connector software not installing problem !

Here's a review of his post from another thread. Thanks, Jason.

"I've found a solution to my problem of not being able to install the Windows Home Server Connector software, so I'm updating all the threads in which I posted about this problem...with the solution! I've been working with one of the WHS team members trying to find a solution to the problem of the software giving me an error after asking for the password, and after all sorts of troubleshooting and head-scratching, he was out of ideas, except one: disconnect my router from my cable modem and try again. So here's what I did:

1) Pulled power plug from router

2) Pulled power plug from cable modem

3) Re-connected power to the router

4) Installed the WHS Connector software

5) Pulled power plug from router

6) Re-connected power to the cable modem

7) Re-connected power to the router

All the machines are connected and working great! I don't know why this worked - likely something DNS related (no, I wasn't using OpenDNS on the router) - but I'm glad I can now back up all my computers rather than just some of them."

Saturday, April 19, 2008 6:12 AM
  •  

how did we go from time out issue to connector issue. i want to hear a solution for time out. the tool kit did nothing for me. and it's defenitly not a timer issue. the second i boot up server, log in and download a large file it's timed out. and i have to reboot. can't watch video using the webguide program as it times out immediately. same thing also goes with orb. although orb will function. but anything else with server is no go. or is there solution or just wait for the powerpack to come out to fix the problem. cuz as far as i've seen from this thing. it can't handle anything that email hasn't been doing since the biginning of time. anything else is just worthless. using a program called webfolders. that gives you a http websight to download large files. your address will be username@homeserver.com/webfolders. that's the only way to download files period. without timing out. but i have video for people to watch. and orb is the only solution for that. on windows though instead of homeserver.

by the way, apparently orb has the ability to do everything homeserver does. play around with the websight and you will find a link that gives you access to whole hard drive. to upload and download. along with stream music, video, and pics. and it's just a free website. haven't figured out how to confine it to specific files though. much like homeserver does.

Saturday, April 19, 2008 10:14 PM
  • Do you have a very slow internet?  Are all your ports open that need to be?  What are your WHS specs and version?  Fully updated? 

I'm just mentioning these things because I download and upload files all the time.  Often these are even large files and once I changed the timeout in the toolkit I haven't had any disconnect or problems.  This indicates that the product is probably ok, there's just something going wrong at your end.  I have comcast with 8meg down and 75k up or so with power boost.  My server is a 3700+ with 2 gig ram and 1.3 terabytes of storage.  Everything works fast and good here.  I haven't had any port problems or issues running a dlink 655 router. 

Saturday, April 19, 2008 10:19 PM
  • it's an operating system deal. if you read the results that are coming out with powerpack1 soon. that is one of the issues. i have no settings to adjust with toolkit. toolkit does nothing for me. all it does is some tests and when you click on test results it brings up a webpage for answers. unless i downloaded a wrong version through the links.

below is a link for what powerpack is bringing to homeserver.

http://www.wegotserved.co.uk/2008/01/07/windows-home-server-power-pack-1-in-depth-remote-access/

a lot of people are having issues with large file timeouts. a couple of bloggers told me that. for some reason, it's just not talked about in the forums. using webfolders program, with the extension in webaddress to log into your server. downloads can be done. through regular web browser. but that's it.

by the way, i'm doing this OVER the net. not INSIDE the network. i can copy and paste all i want inside the network. this thing creates a web address for you. but there's no sense in a webaddress if it can't be used.

my specs are better then yours with exception of storage, and i'm using a linksys gateway..  COMBO ROUTER MODEM. it's the only combo unit available for comcast cable.

amd 4000+ 4 gig memory. 1 500 and 1 160 drive. and it don't matter if i use 6 year old laptop. pc. or virtual software.
    Sunday, April 20, 2008 12:18 AM
  • I don't see anything in the power pack link you gave that says it "fixes timeout issues"..

Login to your console and if the toolkit is installed you will have a toolkit icon in the settings.  Click on it and then choose "Remote Website Access Configurations".  There is a drop down menu called "Remote Access Session Timeout", it defaults to 20 minutes, you can change it to whatever you wish.

Since files in your network DO work, if changing your session timeout doesn't work, then it's obviously a problem with your router config, or your ISP.

Sunday, April 20, 2008 12:25 AM
  • if you use the web address---username.homeserver.com/webfolders. my dad downloaded a 2.5 gig video with no problems. over the internet. 1700 nmiles away.  so i don't have a router or isp issue.  using the actual homeserver pages. is a no go.

here are some of the new features for powerpack when it rolls out. notice the last line. LARGE FILES WILL NOW COMPLETE BEFORE REMOTE SESSION TIMES OUT.

that is the issue everyone is having.

• New thumbnail view for your files to make identification faster and simpler.
    • Drag and drop interface (in IE6 and IE7) to allow you to select and upload multiple files to your home server quickly and easily.
    • Progress bar to allow you to track progress of your uploads.
    • Option for downloading multiple files packaged in a self-executing or standard zip file.
    • Ability to cancel multiple uploads whilst they’re in progress.
    • Large files will now complete before the remote session times out (at last!)

as for the toolkit. i must have a different version or something  cuz all i have is a toolkit in the programs menu. and all it has is connector troubleshooter. apparently it's not the same thing all of you seem to be using. but i followed the links directly towards msft websight. when i run the trouble shooter. on server it says no dhcp server or or it isn't reachable. when i run it from vista. it says can not connect server secure internal websight. maybe that's the problem?????

Sunday, April 20, 2008 9:03 AM
  • ok, fixed the dhcp problem. at least homeserver comes up clean now. still no luck with vista though. still won't connect secure sever. still didn't fix the large file time out issue though. toolkit says V1. so i have no idea on settings. cuz all it does for me is trouble shoot the connection. that's all i can do with this program. i even wiped out homeserver and started out from scratch again. to no avail. my conclusion is still the same. JUNK. for internet purposes.

Sunday, April 20, 2008 10:43 AM
  •  

did install webguide again. for video. now i no longer get the CAN'T AUTHENTICATE SERVER. instead i now get the CAN'T FIND FILE. becuase server times out immediately. and has to be rebooted.
    Sunday, April 20, 2008 10:51 AM