Any One Running More than 8 SATA Drives RRS feed

• Question

• When I build my WHS system over a year ago, I chose an Intel Motherboard with 8 SATA Slots and  shoehorned Four 1-Terabyte drives in to start and have added another two.    I have capacity for two more and could add Two 2-Terabyte drives but this will max out both the capacity in my case and the power supply.   So what’s the best way to keep growing the system?    One option is to attach a Drobo Pro which holds 8-SATA Drives  http://www.drobo.com/products/drobopro/  but at a cost of about $1.300.00 just for the container this is an expensive option.   Another option is to go with an external 8-bay SATA enclosure I would be looking at about $225.00 for the case which has a power supply and another $500.00 for the controller and 300 for cables so I’m still in the $1,000 range  http://www.pc-pitstop.com/sata_enclosures with the hopes that there are no driver issues with the SATA card and WHS.  Another option is a SANS DIGITAL TR8U 8 Bay SATA to USB 2.0 JBOD / Enclosure for about $350.00 which holds 8 SATA Drives and connects via one ISB cable.  The pro on this is the cost but the con is USB is slow.

Just curious what others are using?

WHS_retail version
    Wednesday, June 17, 2009 5:49 PM

Answers

• This is the cheap man's way:

Using internal 5-in-3 SATA bays (if your case can hold them) along with cheap PCI/PCIe SATA controllers. 4 ports with the Sil3124 controller comes up to only $50 and each bay is $100. No problems at all... though I picked a case to get the maximum amount of these 5.25" bays for 5-in-3s.

You definitely don't want to do USB. If you have an external enclosure, make sure it supports eSATA and that its connector supports port multipliers.
    Wednesday, June 17, 2009 6:40 PM
  • The least expensive thing to do is buy:

1. a different case that holds more hard drives
    2. a SATA control card
    3. a better power supply

Approximate cost:

1. case: CHIEFTEC BRAVO BA-01B-B-B cost $111 plus shipping.  Holds 8 3.5" internals plus 6 5.25" which can be converted to 3.5".
    2. SATA card: 1 port can be as low $20, a 4 port can be as high as $300 (areca ARC-1110)
    3. power supply: CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX can be purchased as low as $100 after rebate.

So depending on the number of ports you need, the cost would be around $231 to $511.

Thursday, June 18, 2009 10:53 PM
  • Have you considered replacing the 1 TB drives with 2 TB drives instead? Then, you probably can sale your old 1TB drvies for half the price of the new 2TB drive? That's what I would do if I were you!

Monday, September 6, 2010 7:06 AM

All replies

• This is the cheap man's way:

Using internal 5-in-3 SATA bays (if your case can hold them) along with cheap PCI/PCIe SATA controllers. 4 ports with the Sil3124 controller comes up to only $50 and each bay is $100. No problems at all... though I picked a case to get the maximum amount of these 5.25" bays for 5-in-3s.

You definitely don't want to do USB. If you have an external enclosure, make sure it supports eSATA and that its connector supports port multipliers.
    Wednesday, June 17, 2009 6:40 PM
  • The least expensive thing to do is buy:

1. a different case that holds more hard drives
    2. a SATA control card
    3. a better power supply

Approximate cost:

1. case: CHIEFTEC BRAVO BA-01B-B-B cost $111 plus shipping.  Holds 8 3.5" internals plus 6 5.25" which can be converted to 3.5".
    2. SATA card: 1 port can be as low $20, a 4 port can be as high as $300 (areca ARC-1110)
    3. power supply: CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX can be purchased as low as $100 after rebate.

So depending on the number of ports you need, the cost would be around $231 to $511.

Thursday, June 18, 2009 10:53 PM
  • Have you considered replacing the 1 TB drives with 2 TB drives instead? Then, you probably can sale your old 1TB drvies for half the price of the new 2TB drive? That's what I would do if I were you!

Monday, September 6, 2010 7:06 AM